Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I understand that if you have 60k miles on engine, but if it is almost new OEM short block only 6k miles....then I would guess that I dont need to refresh block to change pistons and rods....just my opinion and wish because I really dont wont to pull engine out again.

·
No longer in KY
2,352 Posts
Good tip for compressor style fitting. I will also look for Devils Own sistem... For my power goal I hope I wont need two pumps for now, lool. About 50/50mix or 100% meth, I am more towards to 50/50mix, because 100% could be dangerous driving in car, and what I read also, is that rich meth mixture could blind knock sensor, so when tuning you could not se knock...maybe I am mistaken.
50/50 mix is just as flammable. I challenge you to dump a 50/50 mix on the floor and strike a flame to it. I did. It burns the meth and leaves the water behind. I don't see it being any less flammable. There's less combustible material in a 50/50 mix but, both will light off the same.

I haven't noticed any knock detection ill effects. If you are afraid of meth straight quelling knock, you may want to be afraid of the 50/50 mix too. Only difference between the two is straight has more value in the power department. I always have a hard time explaining it to people so, I won't beat my head against the wall here. I've ran both a mixture and straight. I now run straight. Looking forward to your progress.

Jeff

·
Registered
293 Posts
I run a Snow performance pump, tank, nozzle and check valve but I control the pump using the Meth function in the LCDBC and I drive the pump using a custom MOSFET based amplifier.

I run about 20-25 PSI of boost depending on weather. The Chrome ECU is clever enough to adjust the boost automatically on order for the engine to produce the same power (load) in all weather conditions. On cold days it lowers the boost and on hot days it increases the boost to compensate for the less dense air.

I don't think any standalone boost controller are able to do that.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I understand that if you have 60k miles on engine, but if it is almost new OEM short block only 6k miles....then I would guess that I dont need to refresh block to change pistons and rods....just my opinion and wish because I really dont wont to pull engine out again.
forged pistons usually require a different piston to cyl. wall clearance due to having a different expansion rate compared to stock cast pistons and you need the hone/ cross hatch if you want your rings to seat properly

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi

I had first one 550cc nozzle in my setup (aem meth kitt) running 50/50mix
I get some knock counts +25psi

Then i put another nozzle 550cc so now i have two 550cc nozzles much better no more knocking. I have now drived over 20 000km with spraying meth&water mix no problems at all.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I run about 20-25 PSI of boost depending on weather. The Chrome ECU is clever enough to adjust the boost automatically on order for the engine to produce the same power (load) in all weather conditions. On cold days it lowers the boost and on hot days it increases the boost to compensate for the less dense air.

This has always been my thinking too. I don't understand why everyone seems to go standalone.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Make sure you use the correct spark plugs if running e85. I just blew my motor just recently running DR750s make 500awhp w/ the stock lower end. Cylinder #3 piston blew into a million pieces. I believe due to pre-igniting issues. Had a great tune and ran great for 6 months.

What plugs are you guys using on e85 with the dr750s? I was running the NGK (4091) R5671A-7

·
Registered
112 Posts
I would use Jester Chrome ECU with an aftermarket boost solenoid to manage the boost, makes for a far tidier setup for your car than a series of old skool piggy back devices wired all over the place.

As for plugs, NGK #7 heat range number at the very least.

Good luck and enjoy those 750's!

·
One fix at a time
7,762 Posts
Make sure you use the correct spark plugs if running e85. I just blew my motor just recently running DR750s make 500awhp w/ the stock lower end. Cylinder #3 piston blew into a million pieces. I believe due to pre-igniting issues. Had a great tune and ran great for 6 months.

What plugs are you guys using on e85 with the dr750s? I was running the NGK (4091) R5671A-7
You only had one step colder than stock good for 75-100hp increase. I was running two steps colder #8s non-projected tip plugs on E-85 and was good on DR-750s and 22Ts but I don't do long multi-gear pulls just two gears at a time. I'm going to be trying #10s that Ray uses because I was getting some slight breakup mostly due to lifting the cylinder heads but felt like pre-ignition at 27 psi. Pistons look perfect but my heads have slight heat scarring at the combustion fire ring.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Racing at Seekonk, I'm only racing in 1st and 2nd, but when I hit the track, I'm rowing through gears. 10's seem like a bit overkill and I heard you wont get much life out of them due to them fouling up quicker. I wish I could find that conversation Ray stated on Facebook regarding plugs for his DR750 setup.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
50/50 mix is just as flammable. I challenge you to dump a 50/50 mix on the floor and strike a flame to it. I did. It burns the meth and leaves the water behind. I don't see it being any less flammable. There's less combustible material in a 50/50 mix but, both will light off the same.

I haven't noticed any knock detection ill effects. If you are afraid of meth straight quelling knock, you may want to be afraid of the 50/50 mix too. Only difference between the two is straight has more value in the power department. I always have a hard time explaining it to people so, I won't beat my head against the wall here. I've ran both a mixture and straight. I now run straight. Looking forward to your progress.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff for helpfull informations anyway, I will try to burn 50/50 mix on the floor just to see, lool. If that is the case, than that mean that alcohol and watter doesnt mix good or enough. What about windscreen washer fluid?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I run a Snow performance pump, tank, nozzle and check valve but I control the pump using the Meth function in the LCDBC and I drive the pump using a custom MOSFET based amplifier.

So you combine SNow performance kit with LCDBC....MOSFET amplifire, what is this? Tham that looks for me little complicated.

What I am looking is some nice and reliable A/W injection kit to buy, install and be "safe"....

For tuning, I will have DR ARC2 with SAFC2. This is what I have, so I have to use it. But CROME ECU look clever, to droop boost on cold weather. Didnt know that....

Well maybe someday..

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
forged pistons usually require a different piston to cyl. wall clearance due to having a different expansion rate compared to stock cast pistons and you need the hone/ cross hatch if you want your rings to seat properly

Thanks Hoss, I guess I will have to drive on stock set up and pray to not detonate my engine block....tham, I thought, there would be easier solution....

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Hi

I had first one 550cc nozzle in my setup (aem meth kitt) running 50/50mix
I get some knock counts +25psi

Then i put another nozzle 550cc so now i have two 550cc nozzles much better no more knocking. I have now drived over 20 000km with spraying meth&water mix no problems at all.
Thanks for that info, so I guess, I will have to start with 625 and not 375nozzle... I will also stay at 20psi for now.
Do you have any forged internals? that last you 20.000km?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

Why do you think you blew the engine? to much psi or to much hp and tq on stock block?. How do you know that you had pre ignition issue?
Now I am worried.... as I am happy for DR 750 , on the other hand I am more and more worried about decision I made...

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
You only had one step colder than stock good for 75-100hp increase. I was running two steps colder #8s non-projected tip plugs on E-85 and was good on DR-750s and 22Ts but I don't do long multi-gear pulls just two gears at a time. I'm going to be trying #10s that Ray uses because I was getting some slight breakup mostly due to lifting the cylinder heads but felt like pre-ignition at 27 psi. Pistons look perfect but my heads have slight heat scarring at the combustion fire ring.
SO what do you suggest for pump+meth, which spurk plug. I wont race the car, just some pulls on highway.

What are simptoms of pre ignition?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Ok guys what do you think, DLI or cheap hotwire coils? Some says that hotwire coils is enough for DR750, but other prefere HKS DLI.... of course there are some stories for HKS DLI problems too...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks for that info, so I guess, I will have to start with 625 and not 375nozzle... I will also stay at 20psi for now.
Do you have any forged internals? that last you 20.000km?
yeah you start with 625 and if it`s not enought put another nozzle.
I have brand new stock rods and Wiseco pistons, Total km after rebuilt is over 50 000km, first 30 000km with 13T turbos

I have ngk 8 plugs working good, but i am gonna try 9 later this summer, maybe it`s even better

and get DLI for sure!

21 - 40 of 73 Posts