Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i will be replacing my stock 9b's and just have a couple of questions. can i run dr500's on 450cc injectors without worrying about leaning out to much? what kind of numbers do you guys think i can lay down with my list of mods? are they realiable...meaning they won't blow in like 5,000miles. also would it be better to get dr-500's or 15g's. any info would help

·
No longer a 3/S owner.
3,402 Posts
wow, seriously tons of information

well, there is a lot that one needs to know about your setup and how fast you want to go! Do a search first of all, search about what turbos do what and what kind of turbo you are looking for. The 15Gs will flow a little more, but have a little more lag, they're also around the same price these days. I've seen considerably faster times out of 15Gs, but a guy by the name of Ryan Carn from the Dynamic Racing crew is running some extremely low 12s on DR500s and propane. He is also at high elevation. I like the 15Gs because of the low 11 second time slips that have been put through with them. If you're going with 450cc injectors you need to look at how much boost you can really run. The 15Gs will run less boost with the 450s than the DRs...but again, its a small tradeoff between the two. I think the 15Gs have a few faster time slips, but the 500s are a great upgrade for stock or slightly upgraded injectors. A little propane and you could really look at some low 12s. You also could probably run this on the stock maf, meaning you wouldn't need an ARC/VPC. That's a large cost in the upgrading of turbos. There is some discussion on when the stock maf becomes a large restriction. Good luck finding some answers, and again, searching the board will get you a long way! Have fun.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
If you have DR 500s or 15g's and run only low 12s, you can go faster. I will go 12.20 or faster on my next run with stock turbos.

A pair of 500s should see 11.60s or better and 15g's really should do low 11s.

·
Devoted Darkling
3,519 Posts
John M said:
If you have DR 500s or 15g's and run only low 12s, you can go faster. I will go 12.20 or faster on my next run with stock turbos.

Man, talk about bold. ;)

I wanna see you kick out some 12.2s. Let me know the next time you go to the track. I wanna be there to see it myself. If you are knocking off low 12s then there's hope for me yet. :) The 3rd annual GA 3/S Track Day and Import Showdown looks like it's going to be in April next year. Looking forward to more 3/S domination. :) :D

I'm still trying to decide between DR500s or DR650Rs myself. If I have the potential to knock off 11.6 @ ~116 MPH from the DR500s and have less lag than the DR650Rs then I can only see one real reason to spend the extra cash for bigger: No matter how fast you are it's rarely fast enough.

Hrmm... fix the tranny or upgrade the turbos. Tough choice. Oh yea... and my CEL came on while driving to work again today. I'm betting it's kicking the EGR code again.

New Year's Resolution : 12.7 @ 110 MPH

·
Ninja Performance
42,336 Posts
John M said:

A bit optimistic
15Gs and low 11's? How many members here have 15Gs or bigger and are not hitting even mid 11's much less low 11's. Heck, the current record holders are only barely in the high 10's.

·
Devoted Darkling
3,519 Posts
Imp Pwr Online said:
A bit optimistic
15Gs and low 11's? How many members here have 15Gs or bigger and are not hitting even mid 11's much less low 11's. Heck, the current record holders are only barely in the high 10's.
But then you have to realize that the old record of 10.8 was set on a pair of 15Gs. It's not out of the question at all. If Phalse was able to run 11.8s out of a 9B and a 13G then any thing is possible.

I think all it will take is someone that is not afraid to hurt their car to get the best times from whatever turbo they have. There's a guy on here that just slams the wastegates shut on his stock 9Bs and has knocked off high 11s. Risky? Yes. Did it work? Yes. It all comes down to how much risk you are willing to take.

·
No longer a 3/S owner.
3,402 Posts
10s on 15Gs

the fact that someone ran 10s on 15Gs gives me optimism. I think he is basically right, if Ryan Carn was running somewhere other than NM in the mountains he would be cutting mid 11s on his DR500s. Stockers have even gone low 12s. It's a lot to do with the driver, you can bet xwing, who ran 10s on 15Gs can drive that car really well to cut those times.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
My 12.20 @ 112 is based on my 1/8 mi runs since my last 1/4 visit is and is every bit to be expected. I'm adding other things too, like the DN separate intake pipes for the VPC setup and the Accel coil kit before I go back. I want the 3 hour drive to count!

There are people with HUGE amounts of mods not even reaching the 11s. That doesn't mean it can't be done. Have we already forgotten that one 9b and one 13g = 11.80s? Even with a slower 60ft it's 11.90s. A pair should do 11.75 without anything special at all.

15g's are so much bigger that low 11s should be a given. I would try to prove that but it's DR 650s for me!

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
ukyo said:
I think all it will take is someone that is not afraid to hurt their car to get the best times from whatever turbo they have.
DING! DING! We have a winner!

I did that a couple years ago...here's what went thru my mind after pushing it that hard:

Originally posted by Trevor on 11-19-2000 08:20 PM
If I was even more NUTTY I could throw more boost at it with 117 leaded gas (C-23) but DAMN I WAS PUSHING IT HARD!! Each time down the track felt like it could be my last. SERIOUSLY! Every time I staged I could just imagine my baby scattering parts or having a bad miss at the other end of the track. I never wanted to be the guy that wussed out but have you ever pushed your car that hard? It doesn't feel very good and it's very nerve racking. You can't imagine the sinking feeling when I picked up my timeslip and steam rolled outta the front of my hood. UGGGGHHH!!! I've been avoiding my garage all day cause I'm not so sure that it's a coolant line. And even if it is maybe I'm getting cylinder pressre in the coolant system. Maybe I've got a bad headgasket. Probably not though. I'm thinking one of the front turbo coolant lines are loose and only leaks when the normal pressure in the cooling system builds up. I'm just too scared to go out there and find out. I do have the money for ANOTHER rebuild if I need to but I don't need that heartache. SCREW THAT! Hell, all my non-car friends laugh at me cause my car's always broke. All my car friends are domestic owners and repsect my quarter mile times but wonder why I put up with the breakage and spend so much $$$$. I used to race every weekend with my 98 Trans Am. Not a care in the world. Breaking didn't even cross my mind. After 100+ passes it never did break and it was FUN. Of course I was running 13.5's with it though. Hell, Jack T and Adam Weltz ran [email protected] with 15G's and 550's. You know what I think they did? All the people up there at the top of the list just threw caution to the wind and cranked the boost til it broke on 117 race gas. Both of those guys are loaded($$$) (Jack's a doctor and Adam's parents are rich). I'm not! Jack T's new 17G car that went [email protected] only lasted like 3 races (that I heard of) before it broke at the DSM shootout and lost 9 mph all the sudden. That was a purpose built motor too. He can have the record. You wonder why all those records are so old? Cause our cars BREAK at that power level. That's why they set a record once and never come back an break it. Hell it took Jack 3 friekin years to barely eek by Adam Weltz's record. Mike Mahaffey from AAM (Hey Mike!) has been sitting on the Stealth record for almost 2 years. His car's got more mods now but I think he's in the same boat with me. And now I know exactly where Joe from AAM is coming from when it comes to taking his bad ass VR-4 to the track. I'm not cranking it to 11 ever again. I'll we be back to the track but I'll keep my car's "volume" turned to "8" and make as many passes that I want to, thank you very much. I don't need the headache of fixing it again, gettin laughed at by my non-car friends, and stressing out my poor wife cause we're one car-ing it again.
The coolant problem was only a pressed in freeze plug that popped out of my freshly rebuilt motor...no biggie. But still...I had to be towed home. FUCK THAT! You guys can have your records if that's what it takes. The runs I made on that day were MUCH better than my previous records but you know where that timeslip went? In the garbage. It didn't make it into my sig either. I've made a couple hundred passes & drove home from every track event since...then drove my car to work the next week. Granted if I naturally break a record or two while running the car at "8" or "9" I'll be happy but I'm not going to throw caution to the wind ever again just to get a stinkin' number and impress people I don't even know on the internet.

·
vehicular thaumaturgist
8,289 Posts
I had to be towed home. FUCK THAT! You guys can have your records if that's what it takes. The runs I made on that day were MUCH better than my previous records but you know where that timeslip went? In the garbage. It didn't make it into my sig either. I've made a couple hundred passes & drove home from every track event since...then drove my car to work the next week. Granted if I naturally break a record or two while running the car at "8" or "9" I'll be happy but I'm not going to throw caution to the wind ever again just to get a stinkin' number and impress people I don't even know on the internet.
Amen to that. It is possible to make a car fast without pushing it too hard. Didn't you end up eclipsing that ET on pump gas later on anyway? If you don't mind posting what that timeslip was, please do.

Back on-topic: 450cc/min injectors are generally regarded as too small for DR-500s, right? I was planning on going with a set of these and an S-AFC a little later on, partly because I don't want to get into putting large injectors on my car and dialing in a lot of compensation with a piggyback, partly because I think they are a good solution for the money. With an adjustable FPR, it is possible to increase the static fuel pressure and compensate with an AFC to get a "size" between 450 and 550 cc/min (better atomization too). I think a popular reason for using 550s with the smaller turbos is to get a peak duty cycle of ~80%.

-Chris Wood

·
Devoted Darkling
3,519 Posts
John M said:
My 12.20 @ 112 is based on my 1/8 mi runs since my last 1/4 visit is and is every bit to be expected. I'm adding other things too, like the DN separate intake pipes for the VPC setup and the Accel coil kit before I go back. I want the 3 hour drive to count!

There are people with HUGE amounts of mods not even reaching the 11s. That doesn't mean it can't be done. Have we already forgotten that one 9b and one 13g = 11.80s? Even with a slower 60ft it's 11.90s. A pair should do 11.75 without anything special at all.

15g's are so much bigger that low 11s should be a given. I would try to prove that but it's DR 650s for me!
John -

I don't doubt you, I just want to be there when you do it. ;) I'm rooting for you because I plan on one day being almost as fast as you are. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.