Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
jst talked to my mechanic........getting rid of your cats is illegal!?! so how come sooooo many of u guys have them? whats ur trick. He told me that if u remove ur cats u will not pass inspection. so how do u guys do it?

·
Senior Fanatic
6,011 Posts
Of course it's illegal! There is no way to tell if the precats are gutted short of tearing the car apart. The police state we live in has not quite gone that far yet (on a routine basis). Most of us either leave the main cat in place (replaced by a high-flow model) or gut it too. Some just replace the main cat with a straight pipe. For inspection (when required) of course a main cat would have to be re-installed.

More info on (il)legal exhaust changes.
http://www.off-road.com/dodge/tech/Emissions_Legal.htm

·
HIGHRISK
501 Posts
Or you could jsut have friends that can hook up up with inspection stickers. Geez...get to know someone at an autoshop, it's not too difficult!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Here in St. Louis we now have state emissions inspection stations. They're also out checking driveby emissions on the street. I just recieved a certificate that I passed emissions at one of these, and I can send in $10 or whatever the fee is to use it instead of having to go down to have the emissions station do it. I'm wondering if they send you a ticket/warning if you fail, on the driveby? Anyone know?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
running without cat is a crime and its fine up to $1000 or more. they take it as severly as drunk driving

·
is dominating the race!
7,527 Posts
im sure a lot of people with test pipes who live in emissions controlled areas swap the cat back on before going to get it tested.....

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well I live by Detroit, I don't think Michigan gives two sh*ts about emissions. Most the vechicles on the road are damn semis. But I could be wrong.

·
Wizard of NOS
1,047 Posts
I dont have any EPA laws where I live so I dont even have to keep any of my stuff on. I could straight pipe mine if I wanted to. :p

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Well in NJ Gutting your CAT or replacing it with a FreeFlow CAT will fail you an inspection check up. What you need to do is replace the Gutted or FreeFlow CAT with the Stock CAT everytime you have an inspection scheduled. If you have the Downpipe and you have eliminated your Pre - Cat than you will fail inspection, that is what I was told by a mechanic up where I live. Also the fine for having a Gutted / FreeFlow / Test Pipe inplace of your Stock CAT is about $1000 but it is quite different when you are caught actually in the process of Gutting the CAT. If you are caught Gutting your CAT the fine is $2,500 here in NJ. Most people do it because it is cheap or free Horsepower. ;)

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Umm, a free flow cat is still a cat. It does the same job as the stocker (usually a better job) without much flow restriction. That's why it's an expensive item. I'd like to see them require an OEM cat.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Yeah thats why pretty much people would rather install their gutted CAT instead of a FreeFlow one. But the FreeFlow is still good. It has about 30% less chemicals as the Stock CAT does and it saves you the annoying noise of the Gutted CAT.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
A downpipe is legal here in Ky.
I don't know if it is or not where you are at though. :)

·
Me Tarzan..u Jane
4,002 Posts
well it depends on which DP you get, the one from DN Performance doesnt get rid of anything just replaces the existing F shaped DP with a better Y shape DP. You keep all the cats(if you want)

·
The Wizard Of Aaahhhhh's
1,596 Posts
MY ATR doesn't replace anything, except the restriction that was there with the stock DP. :)

Chris

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Guys How about the MPH Downpipe??? Does it get rid of my precats on my 98 SL???:confused:

·
Senior Fanatic
6,011 Posts
hollywood said:
I dont have any EPA laws where I live so I dont even have to keep any of my stuff on. I could straight pipe mine if I wanted to. :p
<B>The EPA laws are *Federal* and apply in every state, regardless of state standards. You cannot do what you want legally, but you can of course illegally. :) </B>

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
4u2nv said:
Guys How about the MPH Downpipe??? Does it get rid of my precats on my 98 SL???:confused:
GUYS???? HEHE :D :confused:

·
Wizard of NOS
1,047 Posts
Jeff Lucius said:
<B>The EPA laws are *Federal* and apply in every state, regardless of state standards. You cannot do what you want legally, but you can of course illegally. :) </B>
I work for the EPA, yes there laws are federal. But just like all laws they go by location. And in most small towns there are no smog laws. The cost is too high to regulate.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts