Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a downpipe and test pipe and debating on what to do about the pre cats. The only real option for downpipes these days seems to be 3sx and that doesn't eliminate either pre cat. I don't have access to a lift so I'm worried that trying to gut the pre cats is gonna be a massive pain.

Any thoughts on how hard it is? Any other options out there other than 3sx? The pre cat eliminators add like another $300 so I would rather not go that route if I don't have to.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,877 Posts
Just gut them and be done with it; there are lots of threads and posts about the process. IMO, the absolute best upgrade are DNP o2 housings though. If you are concerned about the time and "massive pain" doing this, then just fork up the dough for front and rear eliminators - drop in the bucket anyway for supporting mods. You are supporting a 3/S vendor regardless.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just gut them and be done with it; there are lots of threads and posts about the process. IMO, the absolute best upgrade are DNP o2 housings though. If you are concerned about the time and "massive pain" doing this, then just fork up the dough for front and rear eliminators - drop in the bucket anyway for supporting mods. You are supporting a 3/S vendor regardless.
I will have to poke around a bit for some of the threads about the process then. I must say I'm not familiar with what DNP O2 housings are so I might have to research that a bit too. Just picked up the car a couple weeks ago so I'm still learning about it.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone know if 3sx still offers free shipping for 3si members of was that just a temporary thing?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, since I got the car it kinda sounded like it had an exhaust leak so since I'm looking in to getting a downpipe anyway I figured I would peak under the car. Definitely found the leak in the flex section of the DP, so now I definitely want to replace the downpipe, but my question is what could cause this to happen? Just being in the northeast? Or potentially an issue with the engine mounts?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So my race pipe and downpipe came in so I started trying to take things apart. I got the four bolts off of the 2 pre cats really easy with my cordless impact wrench, but I can't for the life of me get the 2 bolts off of the main cat.

I tried spraying with pb blaster and the impact wrench isn't budging either one. I'm trying to take off the ones at the rear end of the cat since I am replacing with the race pipe. It almost looks like those are studs versus a bolt. Is it possible the whole thing is spinning?

Any other thoughts on getting those two bolts off?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I gutted my pre cats a few months ago with the car only on jack stands. The front one is a piece of cake since you take it off the car to do it. Good luck with the rear. I don’t think anybody could pay me enough to do that again.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I gutted my pre cats a few months ago with the car only on jack stands. The front one is a piece of cake since you take it off the car to do it. Good luck with the rear. I don’t think anybody could pay me enough to do that again.
Yea I only have the car on jack stands right now too. I'm gonna try and gut them today so I will see how it goes. I have an air chisel/hammer that I'm hoping will make the job much easier.

·
Lovbyts
3,772 Posts
Oh it would be nice to have a lift or even access to a lift. Ive been jacking up cars and crawling under them in the dirt, gravel, mud or using cardboard to many times to count when I didnt have concrete and a creeper.

Make sure to block the tires that are on the ground and triple check the emergency brake. Its always a good idea to block the car up with a spare wheel or something under the wheels that are in the air just in case.

I gutted my precats by hand and would not do it again.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All done and everything is put back together. The rear cat wasn't as bad as I was thinking based on comments going on to it. Probably only took me like 20 to maybe 30 minutes to do it so it could have been worse.

I have to go take it for a spin in a little bit too see how it sounds/feels now.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
15,400 Posts
Unless you have other problems, the work you've done should provide very good results.
The car will be much happier as well, as it won't have to try to push air through those pre-cats and cat (although they DO supply some back pressure).

Will be looking out for your opinion of your work....

Bob.

Reactions: Paul H.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unless you have other problems, the work you've done should provide very good results.
The car will be much happier as well, as it won't have to try to push air through those pre-cats and cat (although they DO supply some back pressure).

Will be looking out for your opinion of your work....

Bob.
Just took it for a quick spin and it's definitely a noticeable improvement for sure. You can hear the turbos more, there is more low end pull and the exhaust sounds so much better.

Only minor popping once in a while because of no back pressure, but it's not bad at all. And that was in the Sport Active Exhaust setting.

I'm very happy with this mood for sure and it got rid of the exhaust leaks I had from that rusted out flex suction and I think there was a little leak at the main cat too because one of the studs was snapped.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts