Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running a double-DIN nav system in place of the stock stereo system? If so, which one and what do you love/hate about it?

I have an old Z3 unit which works great but doesn't have the bells and whistles the newer systems have.

·
Premium Member
5,748 Posts
If you're interested, I have an Android 7" double din radio that I was using a few months earlier. Contact me by private messages, so we don't break any forum rules.

·
Registered
408 Posts
so how do you guys get the fit so well? I have an pioneer avic 8000nex and theres a good size gap all the way around with the factory trim.

Is there a custom trim ring i dont know about?

·
Premium Member
5,748 Posts
so how do you guys get the fit so well? I have an pioneer avic 8000nex and theres a good size gap all the way around with the factory trim.

If you want a factory radio trim, contact me (private message), I have a spare one you can have for cheap.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I picked up a 7" Samsung tablet for around $100 and made some minor modifications to the double din area to make it fit securely behind the stock double din bezel. I took the single din aftermarket bluetooth headunit I'd been using for years and mounted it behind the tablet. Connected the tablet to the headunit via bluetooth, and every time I take a drive I switch on my phone's mobile hotspot. Voila, fully functional in-dash navigation for $100.

I also messed around with an android IFTTT app (rooted), and made the tablet turn on when ignition is applied, and turn off (I set a delay of 15 min for when I'm just running into the store or something so I don't have to wait for the tablet to power back up) when ign is removed. Also programmed the permanent home/back/multiview buttons on the tablet to do their functions/volume/skip track/play/pause with multi-gestures. Has worked out well.

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm using a chinese brand double din - brand is called pumpkin. You can buy their double din units for about $330CAD.
there are two versions when I bought it. one with dvd and one without. I went with the unit without since I was aiming to run music off of a USB stick.

they run on android. I don't really use it for much besides music and NAV. the nav maps can be updated - it runs of a memory card. it *should be lifetime map updates.
I run music off of USB. It can play movies if you want it to as well.

my only beef with the unit is that it won't remember where the music list left off when you turn the unit off. It's not a big deal.

·
Cow man moo?
1,960 Posts
bump on an old thread but i am in the market for a double din unit myself. I dont care about android or DVD. I synch pandora from my phone, or USB. I am mostly wanting sound quality as I dont run an amp on my front and rear speakers.

I see a few options on amazon that have great reviews, but also.... amazon users that review car products dont know about cars.

I'm hoping that I can find a decent hundred-ish buck double din radio that will not razzle dazzle with GPS and crap, but just have basic functions, and a decent looking screen.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
12,913 Posts
I have a Kenwood Double DIN unit in my Spyder with all the bells and whistles (including WIFI). It has great sound quality through the stock stereo and speakers. I won't tell you the cost of this unit as it may want to make you :barf:

The GPS just took a shit on my Eclipse Double DIN unit that I "had" in my Stealth. I wanted the GPS (as me and my phone are not on speaking terms!!!!). I too did some searching on Amazon and purchased a Boss BN965BLV unit. It came with a backup camera and I am in the process of installing it and the "too short" GPS antenna that I had to buy an extension for (<$7). Cost for the unit was ~$270.

Hope to have the install complete this weekend (supposed to be warmer, as we just got 4"+ of white shit last night and this morning :) )

I will post back with post install impressions.

PS: I should mention that I have a fairly nice amp setup in the Stealth, so I'm hoping to give it a GOOD workout....

Bob. :)

·
Premium Member
5,748 Posts
bump on an old thread but i am in the market for a double din unit myself. I dont care about android or DVD. I synch pandora from my phone, or USB. I am mostly wanting sound quality as I dont run an amp on my front and rear speakers.

I see a few options on amazon that have great reviews, but also.... amazon users that review car products dont know about cars.

I'm hoping that I can find a decent hundred-ish buck double din radio that will not razzle dazzle with GPS and crap, but just have basic functions, and a decent looking screen.
Here you go:
https://www.3si.org/forum/f4/double-din-gps-android-radio-817239/#post1056294487

·
Cow man moo?
1,960 Posts
thanks blackstealth, paypal sent

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
12,913 Posts
Unit installed.
I am very pleased with how the install went. It did take a good deal of work to get the wiring from the backup camera INSIDE the car, but once that was accomplished, the rest of the install was pretty straight forward.
I have to admit that I was a bit nervous, but after putting several hours into installing the backup camera, getting the GPS antenna situated on the back section of the roof, and its wiring run invisibly to the dash area, when I first powered up the unit EVERYTHING worked!
I have a fairly nice amp unit mounted on a stand that I created years ago and it came on like a champ. Subwoofer, CHECK.
GPS signal good and strong!!
SSD card that I loaded with over 300 songs (just to test unit) sounded awesome and with some tweaks to the Equalizer sounded even better!!
Backup Camera, CHECK. This was a nice added bonus that came for free with the unit.

The unit does not have an accelerometer, but that wasn't important to me.

It does have a twist to turn volume knob and a very responsive touch screen.

Map updates for the NAV unit are free through N-Drive.

Lots of settings to control everything from the GPS to your phone and much more.

All in all, VERY pleased with my purchase, and if I had to do it over again, would probably bought this unit for my Spyder instead of the ridiculously expensive Kenwood unit.

Just my .02

Bob.

·
Cow man moo?
1,960 Posts
I wanted to toss my hat in the ring and say the one I bought from blackstealth has been amazing!

I love that it has a splash screen as its loading, i love the twist volume knob. GPS is fast and accurate, loading songs is EASY.

I am tempted to do the "learn" function on the steering wheel. but deep down inside I know it will not work...

It may be a no name brand unit. but im happy with it!

and by no name. I mean, litteraly zero markings of a brand anywhere on the unit, box, instruction manual, or anywhere. Its a ghost unit.

·
Premium Member
5,748 Posts
You can find the instruction manual inside the OS, as a PDF manual, I think it also has a demo video.

The steering wheel learn function is based on resistor based steering wheel, which are car is not. However, I am developing an adapter to fix this.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Luckily the Z3 came with a generic ring that was trim able.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I picked up a 7" Samsung tablet for around $100 and made some minor modifications to the double din area to make it fit securely behind the stock double din bezel. I took the single din aftermarket bluetooth headunit I'd been using for years and mounted it behind the tablet. Connected the tablet to the headunit via bluetooth, and every time I take a drive I switch on my phone's mobile hotspot. Voila, fully functional in-dash navigation for $100.

I also messed around with an android IFTTT app (rooted), and made the tablet turn on when ignition is applied, and turn off (I set a delay of 15 min for when I'm just running into the store or something so I don't have to wait for the tablet to power back up) when ign is removed. Also programmed the permanent home/back/multiview buttons on the tablet to do their functions/volume/skip track/play/pause with multi-gestures. Has worked out well.
Nice Job! Any issues with it so far?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm using a chinese brand double din - brand is called pumpkin. You can buy their double din units for about $330CAD.
there are two versions when I bought it. one with dvd and one without. I went with the unit without since I was aiming to run music off of a USB stick.

they run on android. I don't really use it for much besides music and NAV. the nav maps can be updated - it runs of a memory card. it *should be lifetime map updates.
I run music off of USB. It can play movies if you want it to as well.

my only beef with the unit is that it won't remember where the music list left off when you turn the unit off. It's not a big deal.
Thanks. Good info ... I'll look into those.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Unit installed.
I am very pleased with how the install went. It did take a good deal of work to get the wiring from the backup camera INSIDE the car, but once that was accomplished, the rest of the install was pretty straight forward.
I have to admit that I was a bit nervous, but after putting several hours into installing the backup camera, getting the GPS antenna situated on the back section of the roof, and its wiring run invisibly to the dash area, when I first powered up the unit EVERYTHING worked!
I have a fairly nice amp unit mounted on a stand that I created years ago and it came on like a champ. Subwoofer, CHECK.
GPS signal good and strong!!
SSD card that I loaded with over 300 songs (just to test unit) sounded awesome and with some tweaks to the Equalizer sounded even better!!
Backup Camera, CHECK. This was a nice added bonus that came for free with the unit.

The unit does not have an accelerometer, but that wasn't important to me.

It does have a twist to turn volume knob and a very responsive touch screen.

Map updates for the NAV unit are free through N-Drive.

Lots of settings to control everything from the GPS to your phone and much more.

All in all, VERY pleased with my purchase, and if I had to do it over again, would probably bought this unit for my Spyder instead of the ridiculously expensive Kenwood unit.

Just my .02

Bob.
Thanks, Bob. I think I'll check into both of yours. Connectivity is my biggest CON to this unit. Everything works just fine including the IR steering wheel sensing so I can use the steering wheel radio controls. How things are done, though, like pairing with phones, uses older standard which means setting up a new phone is hit or miss. There are other issues like that. Plus it is not support by Pioneer any longer with no new maps. AND everything must be burned to a CD to update any of the functions of the unit the unit.

BTW, after years and years your shifter remains one of the best mods I have made to my '97. And my list of mods is quite long.

·
Registered
737 Posts

I know it has been a while but I work in St Joe, MO and could 3D print you something to fill in the gap if you would like.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts