Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently installed the JBL 220's.

The right speaker (passenger side) makes a buzz.
It's not that noticeable if music is on... but it makes the noise, even when the stereo is off!

I hear the annoying buzz.
So, I pulled the speaker, cut out a lot of the extra wire, so it would eliminate stuffing a ton of stuff back into the hole.

Didn't work.

Here's the problem, once I pull out the speaker (still connected) it sounds fine... as long as I get that black thing (cross-over?) OUT of the hole.

For some reason, when it's stuffed in there, there's interference, an bam, that noise. Don't know what to do, because it has to be put in the hole!

Thanks, Scott

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
Sounds like part of the extra wire is rubbing up against the cone of the 220 speaker, that is likely the buzz you hear. Now if it is making the noise when the stereo is off, can't figure that out. My 220s are mounted (in the dash of course) in the old tweeter baskets and they sound great, no buzzing.

Have you tried switching speakers to see if they both make the same noise when mounted in same location? You may have a faulty speaker or crossover unit.

It can't be the speaker design, since myself and a slew of others have bought these speakers and they all appear to work great in our cars. Except you.

Lord Warlock

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
Oh, and if you are mounting speakers in the door, roll your windows up when testing to see if the vibration is actually the glass in the door when it is rolled down. They say to install door speakers in our cars with the windows down, that way you don't try to install the speakers too deep where they will cause probs with the windows.

LW

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, the buzz is the DASH speakers (220's).
I have not tried exchanging left with right speaker, but I will tonight. I just didn't feel like doing the soldering thing again.
The left one is fine.

I did that on my door 6.5's and found it was the speaker.
It's not the wire on the cone, because it happens when the speaker is out of the dash hole, and AS SOON AS I stuff the cross-over back in the hole. You can hear the buzz increase as I push it in.

And like I said, it's audible when the stereo is off... (at least that's when it's most noticeable, because music is not drowning it out. Buzz IS there though when music is on)

Like a dumbass, I think I threw away the box and receipt for the JBL 220's, so if it is a defective cross-over, I don't think I have much recourse.... unless they can track it by my credit card, or if they'll except an exchange, if I send it back ( IF it is the cross-over)

Scott

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
when swapping temorarily, don't solder them. Wait until you get them both placed correctly first. There seems to be more clearance in the left side than the right, at least that I noticed when I installed mine.

LW

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeppers:

I planned to just do a temporary twist together deal, but I still have to unsolder or cut the left one... and it was so nice and purdy too.

Now that I think about it... I do recall the left dash area having more area to push all the stuff into.

Being an idiot... why do I need the cross-over?
Don't know what they do.
Why can't it just be straight wires, by-passing the cross-over.
I assume that directs where the music goes or something.

Scott

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
Its my understanding that the door and dash speakers are on the same loop, the crossover is on the jbl speakers to keep bass from being fed to the speakers, they are mainly a tweeter and a small midrange speaker, they were not designed to handle bass so the crossover will keep lower signals from reaching the speakers. (keeps them from blowing)

I soldered mine too, until I had to take them out and reinstall them later (after a dash vent job) now they are press fitted together with one of those crimping tool thingies.

What throws me off is why they would make noise when radio is turned off. There would have to be a short of some sort to cause this. Did you rewire the dash speakers or use the factory harness? If you rewired, I'd check to see if the hot lead isn't grounding out somewhere. Or maybe the leads are reversed. I'd consider slitting the cover to the crossover and checking the wires for breaks, sounds like the hot lead and the ground lead are somehow making contact occasionally.

Also, there is a whole thread dedicated to the JBL speakers, and you may be able to get more response by posting there, at least there will be input from others that have these awesome tweeters.

LW

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good suggestions:

I may have put the leads in backwards, but I'm pretty sure I did what was identical to the factory.

And I did not re-wire.
I'll switch the speakers/crossover, and see if it is indeed oneo f the two first.

And I like your idea of slitting the cross-over plastic to check if wires are touching... never thought of that.

But it makes sense, seeings the noise doesn't start until the crossover is SQUEEZED in the dash hole. You can hear it immediately start to buzz, and as you release the pressure, it goes away.

Scott
I'll definitely let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Hey depending on the sound of the buzz, you may have ran a wire next to something causing some interference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts