Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does your car jump forward a bit when you go to put it in first gear? Well, mine does, and I've heard a few people talking about this on the board here. I now know what this is and why. It is the rear differential, the viscous coupling. Cost: $1691 new. I was towed without my knowledge about two years ago, and I wondered why my car lurched forward when putting it in first gear and why it goes "bam" from the rear when shifting if I don't ease out on the clutch just right. The Mitsu service manual confirmed this. My car was also slightly damaged on the front spoiler (paint scraped off) from where they towed it, confirming that they did tow it from the front. Those bastards. I think I'll sue them now. A lawyer told me back then I have 3 1/2 years to file suit and recommended that I sue in small claims. Be very very careful when having your car towed and make sure it's on a flat bed tow truck!!

·
Getrag Rebuilder
1,801 Posts
Hey,
I have a similar problem on my SL auto tranny. When coming to a stop, then starting up again ocasionaly the tranny doesn't shift "cleanly" and results in a slight jump....happens rarely but I don't like it. Any idea as to its cause? I was planning to change the auto tranny fluid to redline fluids come springtime to hopefully resolve the problem.
--Steve

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve,

That would be a different problem since your car is front wheel drive and does not have the viscous coupled rear differential. From other posts on this site, it looks like a change to a better fluid might help your problem, and would be worth a try. Hope you get it fixed. I'm hoping that my dad, who owns a car lot, can get the rear diff at less than $1695.00. He usually can get my parts for 20 to 40% off of the price you and I would normally pay.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts