Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Head of Society of Bob
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The electrical system in my car just went all wacky tonight. I think it's the battery, but I want other opinions.

I had been messing with my CD changer tonight at a friends house for about and hour, and so had been turning the car on and off (never starting it) and running basically everything in it (interior lights, climate control, radio, parking lights, cd changer, etc.) off the battery.

So, then I drive back home, no problems, but when I park the car, I find that my keyless remote won't lock the doors. I start the car back up, and find that both my radio and climate control have reset to their default settings. I change the settings, turn the car off, then back on, and they have reset again. So, I run the car for about 5min, during which the voltmeter shows a steady 14v, but the same thing happens again when I turn the car off.

I don't think it's the alternator, since everything runs perfectly when the car is running, no dimming of lights or anything, but when I turn the car off, problems. Does this sound like my battery is dieing? Or is there something else I'm overlooking?

fine print : there is $1000 charge payable to user Bob The Great for user tonygold to post on this thread. :)

·
Gear Head
3,262 Posts
It sounds to me like it is your IOD (Ignition Off Draw) fuse. It is the fuse that suplies power to the memory of your radio, climate control, interior lights and probably a few other things. It is either in the fuse box under the driver side dash or under the hood in one of two places. There is a fuse/relay box on both right and left sides. I can't remember which one it is in but it won't take long to pull it and check it where ever it is.

·
Registered
10,686 Posts
Bret is 100% on the money. The same fuse feeds juice to the coutesy lamps when you open your doors.

I pull this fuse to reset the ECU.

Clint

·
Head of Society of Bob
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, i found it. that was the problem. thanks for the help.

·
Head of Society of Bob
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:rolleyes: lol ;) sure thing. btw, there's also a $1000 charge for posting on a thread I started, so we can just call it even. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.