Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it ticks a little and the oil pressure is very low and the coolant light is on and i have max level.

·
Registered
1993 3000GT VR4
2,121 Posts
The light on the dash is the washer fluid light, not the coolant light. Low oil pressure on the gauge is pretty common, but doesnt mean much by itself as the sensors are known to go bad. Get a real oil pressure gauge on it and see what the oil pressure actually is at hot idle and that it rises at a rate of at least 10psi/1000RPM and then go from there on the oil pressure.

·
Registered
1993 3000GT VR4
2,121 Posts
The tick could be the lifters but it could also be the injectors as they can sometimes tick pretty loudly. You will have to use a mechanics stethoscope (or similar) to verify if the noise is coming from under the valve cover(s) or from the injectors.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont think that it is the injectors cause I just had the removed and cleaned cause i painted the intake manifold and valvecover

·
Registered
1993 3000GT VR4
2,121 Posts
Even brand new injectors can sometimes have an audible tick. Either way, nothing in that video sounds alarming to me. Perhaps one with a couple quick revs (letting it come back to idle between them) might highlight any odd noises.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sounds good to me. Might try a thicker oil for more oil pressure. Also try the old, screwdriver to ear trick as a 'stethoscope'. If you are really worried about oil pressure pick up a mechanical oil pressure gauge like (this). Or just go ahead and swap out the stock gauge for one with numbers if its worth the trouble.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had 5w 30 but now i have 5w 50
Yeah my personal preference for my NA is 10w 40 but all the turbo guys seem to like 20w 50 Valvoline vr1. I think I'm going to try 0w-40 Mobil 1 euro oil next. It seems to be the best of both worlds. Some people on here swear on 5w30 like Mitsubishi says you should. I only run 40 because I drive the hell out of my car and the excess heat thins the oil out more than Id like. The stock oil pressure gauge is inaccurate and imprecise btw so I wouldn't make decisions based on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts