Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just try to install back the new rack and look at the manual, found that it shows there is a lock washer kind of stuff on the column connecting bolt, but I don't think my car has it (I am very careful when I removed the bolt, all the parts bagged and labeled...), could you give me some confirmation?

And if we should have it but my car does not have, will that matter? or will buying a lock washer from part store work?

Thank you so much!

17,883 Posts
No problem, be prepared to recenter your steering wheel. It is easy.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No problem, be prepared to recenter your steering wheel. It is easy.
I centered my steering wheel before I remove the rack, and use rope and tape to fixed the steering wheel to make sure it will not have huge movement during the removal. yeah, I still expect get some off-center.

I'm just curious why most of us re-center the steering wheel (I saw it in many posts), could we just adjust the outer tie-rod to make it dead centered during the alignment (we finally have to do that by shop)?
When I replace the rack on my LC100, I got about 30 degrees off-center, then the alignment shop just adjust the tie rod, it works fine...

17,883 Posts
If its off a lot standard procedure is to remove the wheel and re-center. If its 5 or 10 degrees the tie rods are okay. The danger in massively centering it with the tie rods is you have more travel one direction than the other.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If its off a lot standard procedure is to remove the wheel and re-center. If its 5 or 10 degrees the tie rods are okay. The danger in massively centering it with the tie rods is you have more travel one direction than the other.
Hi, I got the new rack install back today, I am a little worried the spline was not totally instert into the column joint.
But that column bolt went through with no problem, does that mean the spline was installed back properly? (since the bolt can go through) Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.