Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Does Mitsu change engine or rebuild?

305 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Crazey 
#1 ·
My engine is making all sorts of weird noises, and has been making them forever, and they are just now starting to sound worse and worse. I was wondering if Mitsu rebuilds the engines or puts a new one in, if, let's say, i was getting rod nock. Anyone know?

Peter

#2 ·
Rebuild...

They rebuilt mine after my timing belt decided to take a vacation. The car was down for about a month.

#3 ·
They can either rebuild yours, order you a new "crate" motor, or a used motor. If you can afford a crate motor that is a good way to go, you basically start over with a brand new engine. They keep some of the stuff from your old engine depending on whether you buy a long block or a short block. A used engine is a gamble IMO. You don't know how many miles the engine really has on it, nor do you know if the engine was treated badly before it was removed. I went with a rebuild on mine. They change everything that should be pertinent to your engine running well, and you also know what work has been done to your car by that point. You start over with basically a brand new engine. Your other option is to get your engine rebuilt and built up. Forged rods, pistons, crank, etc. have your engine balanced and blueprinted and you should be ready for some heavy mods. I suggest the regular rebuild. Costs less than a crate or used engine and just as, if not more reliable.

#4 ·
Oh my bad, i forgot to mention "WARRANTY", hehehe. This will be done under warranty. so what will they do then?

#5 ·
Rebuild.

Mine was done under warranty.

#6 ·
Oh, damn, WHYYYYY, lol. I was hoping for a new engine, oh well, hehe.

#7 ·
My dealership puts new short blocks in. If it's a piston/block problem. If you spun a bearing or something the bearing caps and stuff are usually less than usable... Not always, and 9 times out of 10 you might be able to gt away with it, but we don't usually bother. Just a new short block... Super C got a rebuild because hi s T belt went out and the valves made contact with the pistons, that's a head problem and not a block problem (assuming they didn't damage a piston)... We rebuild heads all the time. It's a lot cheaper and esier to send a head out to be machined than a block.
Hell worse comes to worse, bring the car down here for a week party with me and we'll get it fixed at my dealership in the mean time. :) I can guarentee my dealership would put in a new block... :)
"Yes sir, the block was totally unusable (as I take sandpaper to the cylinder walls and a pry bar to the bearing caps.)"
You don't even want to know what kind of crap we get away with there. :)

#8 ·
just curious.. how much would it cost mitsu to order ya a new "crate" motor and install it?

your first born and your soul? lol :p

no.. but seriously...

#10 ·
I think what i'm gona do is i'm gona run it a little hard, and take it to my local dealer for diagnosis. 'Cause it sounds like PURE ASS. Crackling and shit. sounds like the engine is not even sure what kind of sound to put out. Then i'm gona take it to charlotte to the dealer over there and have them work on it. Gone have to take out my guage and filter though, 'cause this dealer here in columbia is a bitch. Thanks for the input all.

#11 ·
Crazey

You are not too far from Knoxville, TN My best suggestion would be to take it to John Mcgrath(Jmactenn) & Sean Johnson both are 3SI members they have rebuilt quite a few of these including mine and they are amazingly reasonable. They have done work on quite a few board members cars. Any ? on contacting them just Private Message me

#12 ·
Well again, i'm diong this under warranty, and i doubt they will honor my warranty, LOL. So my best bet for now would be taking it to a Mitsu dealer. Thanks anyway though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.