Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking into affordable offroading vehicles from the late 90's early 2000's. One such vehicle is the Montero Sport, the 2001 3.5 XS more specifically. I was wondering what you think of it as an offroading vehicle. I don't plan on rock crawling with it by any means. I just want to go up some mountain passes and whatnot. I am having trouble finding a true description of the AWD system. Supposedly, it is an AWD system with a rear LSD that has the ability to be locked too. Some being sold say they are AWD with automatic locking hubs. People in forums say they don't lock, while others say they do. So whats the deal? I have also been looking at the Nissan Xterra, Land Crusier, 4Runner, Tacoma, Isuzu Vehicross. Tons of choices, but I like the look and price points of the Montero Sport. Thanks!

·
My car is a money pit
2,765 Posts
Man, just get a wrangler! So much fun, and super affordable to buy parts!

I've always wanted to throw a tt kit on a montero sport with an AEM and see if I could hurt a couple feelings, but I don't make enough to chase those kinds of dreams lol

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I think the third gen monteros have the ability to adjust the center diff for torque splitting purposes but I dont think they can lock the axles. Sadly they are unibody vs the older monteros being body on frame.

I reallllly like the first gen monteros and apparently they are pretty good off road too, a DOHC swap would be a nice power upgrade as well. Something like this would be sweet!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man, just get a wrangler! So much fun, and super affordable to buy parts!

I've always wanted to throw a tt kit on a montero sport with an AEM and see if I could hurt a couple feelings, but I don't make enough to chase those kinds of dreams lol
I considered that because I know tons of people that own them. After being in them for multiple hours, I really don't like the feel of them, they aren't very comfortable in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
A local member around here has a mid 90s montero. He just took it offroading with other Montero owners end of last year and it did it with ease even on snow tires.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A local member around here has a mid 90s montero. He just took it offroading with other Montero owners end of last year and it did it with ease even on snow tires.
That is good to know, hopefully he comes across this post. I have read that they are better than most people think. Even if the don't have the locking hubs and just have an LSD. They can go pretty much anywhere. They aren't terribly expensive either.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Vipershark11 is talking about me. I love my montero. I have a 1995 SR with the 6g74. It has center and rear diff air lockers. Full frame and came with a 1 inch body lift from the factory. It also has 3 way ECS.
It rides like a truck but I love it. I've put about 40k miles on it in a few years.
The newer ones def ride and steer a little nicer but I like how solid the gen 2 feels.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Vipershark11 is talking about me. I love my montero. I have a 1995 SR with the 6g74. It has center and rear diff air lockers. Full frame and came with a 1 inch body lift from the factory. It also has 3 way ECS.
It rides like a truck but I love it. I've put about 40k miles on it in a few years.
The newer ones def ride and steer a little nicer but I like how solid the gen 2 feels.
Good to hear that you like it. I was looking at a 2004 XLS. I have seen people say there is Gen 1, 2, 2.5, 3. What is with the 2.5?

·
TIRED OF WAITING
743 Posts
I have a silver 2001 Montero Sport XS 3.5 4wd. The only way to get locking hubs for the front on this (gen 2) version is to buy either Super winch or Aisin hubs which I have. Not all models had the LSD in 2001 if any. I never had any issues in the snow or the light trails I did. There are a few little mods you can do to help it perform off road like sway bar dis connects, t bar crank and Old Man Emu rear springs. It is not a jeep but you will still have a lot of fun if you choose to get one. I think the cut off for the gen 2 is 2002 or when ever it went from 4wd with a shifter to a awd system. If by any chance you are looking for a modded MS that needs some work, specifically transmission and rust I am selling mine.

Clay

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a silver 2001 Montero Sport XS 3.5 4wd. The only way to get locking hubs for the front on this (gen 2) version is to buy either Super winch or Aisin hubs which I have. Not all models had the LSD in 2001 if any. I never had any issues in the snow or the light trails I did. There are a few little mods you can do to help it perform off road like sway bar dis connects, t bar crank and Old Man Emu rear springs. It is not a jeep but you will still have a lot of fun if you choose to get one. I think the cut off for the gen 2 is 2002 or when ever it went from 4wd with a shifter to a awd system. If by any chance you are looking for a modded MS that needs some work, specifically transmission and rust I am selling mine.

Clay
Hey Clay, sorry I didn't respond. For some reason I didn't even see this post until today. I wound up buying a 2004 LS with 127,000 miles with excellent condition interior for $3950. I had to do some preventative maintenance to it right away. I replaced the valve cover/spark plug gaskets, spark plugs, water pump, tensioner pulleys, timing belt, serpentine belt, ac belt, power steering pump belt, the power steering pump itself, and I changed the oil. I actually had a couple of my 3S friends come change the timing belt, other belts, and water pump for me. I didn't feel like doing lol. It I am planning to get the OME lift kit and the front and rear ARB airlockers. I got some rugged tires for it, it is amazing how much that alone adds to the way it looks. It is an absolute blast to drive. I don't plant to have serious rock crawling endeavors with it, I just want to go on some of the trails out here. SO far, it has gone everywhere that my father in law's 2010 Nissan Xterra can go, and I don't even have a rear locker like he does. I got some cross bars and a roof rack for it too. Eventually I want to get a winch and ARB bulbar, but that bulbar is pretty expensive...

First Purchased:

Now:

·
TIRED OF WAITING
743 Posts
Glad you are enjoying it. Looks like it is in better shape than the one I am selling. Sounds like you have a few friends that really enjoy beer.

Clay

1 - 13 of 13 Posts