Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am wondering if the 1st generation Stealths/3000GT's have clearcoat paint finishes? i am going to buy some of that Zaino stuff and don't know whether to use the kind for clearcoats or the kind for regular paint?

·
Detroit RiceCop
659 Posts
All colors were clearcoats, including red. I have a 91 red and it is definately clearcoat which was verified by a body shop.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
It's true that the red cars don't have a clearcoat... I believe Kenneth has said in the past that it wouldn't provide any enhancement to the shine. I think there are other colors that don't have it as well... I'm not sure which tho.

As for the zaino you can use the Z3 (regular paint) on a car with clearcoat or without... it has a little more shine to it than the Z2 does from what I've been told (I havn't used Z2). But if you're worried about your paint and don't know if it's clearcoat or not you can just go with Z2.

BTW 1 way to tell if your car is clearcoat or not is if when you wax it and then buff the wax back off if any paint/color comes off with it then your car is NOT clearcoated. Mine isn't.

·
Registered
727 Posts
isn't it really bad for a car to not be clear coated? Should we get it clear coated...like buff it and shit till its bright red and then get it clear coated?

·
chunsangp
3,556 Posts
Red doesn't have clearcoat. You will know whan you buffer wax with a towel, you will see your paint color on the towel.

Sceptor said:
isn't it really bad for a car to not be clear coated? Should we get it clear coated...like buff it and shit till its bright red and then get it clear coated?
I was wondering same thing. Can I get clearcoat?

·
Registered
318 Posts
no clearcoat!!

for the record, the factory firestom red, or caracus red, from the factory, did not come clearcoated, its a single stage acrylic urathane system, if your car is red and is clear coated, it has either beeen repaired or repainted!!! :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
BODYWORK 101

ALSO, IT IS NOT NESSECARLLY BAD TO NOT HAVE CLEARCOAT!!! IF IT IS A SIGLE STAGE PAINT SYSTEM, THEN IT WAS INTENDED NOT TO BE CLEARED, THATS HOW SINGLE STAGE IS...SHINNY WITHOUT CLEAR... TO CONSIDER CLEARING A SINGLE STAGE CAR, IT WOULD LITERALLY BE A ENTIRE REPAINT, IT NEEDS TO BE SPRAIED, FOLLOW ME, SO WHEN U SAY "CAN I BUFF AND CLEAR MY CAR"...YOU CAN, BUT, WHAT THATS CALLED IS A PAINT JOB;) ONE MORE THING I WOULD LIKE TO AD WHEN COMPARING SINGLE STAGE TO CLEARCOAT, DURABILTY IS THE MAIN FACTOR, CLEARCOAT STANDS UP TO CLIMATE MUCH BETTER!! OF COURSE THERE ARE OTHER DRAWBACKS, BUT IN WHOLE, THEY BOTH "CAN" LOOK GREAT!! FOR INSTANCE, TAKE TWO OF THE SAME PARTS, PAINT IT SINGLE STAGE RED, AND PAINT THE OTHER EICE WHIT BASE-CLEAR, BOTH, AFTER WET SANDING AND BUFFING WILL LOOK OUTSTANDING, AND IN SOME CASES, THE SINGLE STAGE WILL, YES, I SAID BETTER, THIS IS WHY, ALL CLEARCOATS HAVE A BINDER IN THEM, THIS IS AN AGENT IN THE CYTALIST THAT ALLOWS IT TO HARDEN, SO, IT SLIGHLTY YELLOWS THE CLEAR, SO, ON A BLACK CAR, THE BLACK IS MUCH MUCH RICHER IN SINGLE STAGE, THE PROBLEM IS THE SINGLE STAGE REQUIRES MORE MANTIANCE TO KEEP IT UP, SUCH AS OCCASIONAL BUFFING AND WAXING. THE MAIN ADVANTAGES TO CLEAR ARE ITS DURABILTY AND REPAIABLITY. WHAT I MEAN BY THIS IS, TAKE A FENDER THAT HAS A SMALL DING IN IT, WITH CLEARCOAT, YOU CAN SPOT IN THE BASE, AND JUST RECLEAR THE ENTIRE FENDER, IF IT WERE SINGLE STAGE, THAN YOU WOULD NEED TO PANIT THE ENTIRE FENDER WITH THE NEW PAINT... THE PROBLEM WITH THIS IS, NOW YOU HAVE TWO PANELS ADJECENT TO ONE ANOTHER, ONE HAS OLD PAINT AND ONE HAS THE NEW SINGLE STAGE...HENCE, USUALLY A POOR COLOR MATCH! SO , IF U USED CLEARCOAT SYSTEM, YOU COULD POTENTLY JUST SPOT IN THE NEW COLOR(WHICH IS NOT RIGHT NEXT TO THE OTHER PANEL) AND JUST RECLEAR THE ENTIRE FENDER, NO COLOR MATCH PROBLEM ... I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO ADD, THAT WHEN MOST BODYSHOPS TELL YOU THEY HAVE EXPERT COLOR MATCHING, THATS ALL THEY ARE DOING, ITS CALLED BLENDING, 98% OF THE TIME, THE PAINT THEY MIX IS VERY CLOSE, BUT NOT CLOSE ENOUGH TO DO A PANAL MATCH, SO THEY JUST BLEND THE BASECOAT JUST OUTSIDE OF THE REPAIR, AND RECLEAR, IT REALLY IS NOT AN ART FORM OR REQUIRE ANY SPECIAL PAINT DECODER, ITS JUST A SELLING TACTIC, IF ANYONE NEEDS ANYMORE SPECIFIC INFO ON PAINT OR BODY WORK, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME

·
Detroit RiceCop
659 Posts
Well I guess I stand outnumbered, errr.... corrected.

Well.....it was the paint shop guys fault....he stands corrected. I just relayed his message. Yeah.

·
Registered
318 Posts
a question..

why do people have such a problem with caps??? not trying to be wise, but thats not the first time ive seen someone ask for "no caps"... what gives?

·
Registered
727 Posts
ya its just while reading it its like the guy is just SCREAMING the whole fucking time your reading it..I know it isn't like that but it's how it reads.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts