Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 3000 GT VR4 my car is all stock. This kids is a 2000 Mustang GT with an x-pipe, Cold air intake, chip, and a cam. He is talkin trash. He thinks that his car handles better then mine. He also said he has upward of 380+ hp. which is a bunch of BS. With my calculations he has 300 hp. at most. How do you guys think I could take him? What RPM should I slip the clutch at or drop it to get the best launch?

·
Baka! Baka! Baka! Baka!
1,107 Posts
You could wipe him I'm sure! I bet if you drop at 2800-3300 you should definetely have no problems. Mustangs are never as fast as those little punks beleive them to be, and anyone that actually does have a fully worked up Mustang is gonna be someone smart enough to not brag to everyone that he can beat everybody.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
you will kill him, his car probably wont even break into the 13's

·
Registered
349 Posts
I dunno, I don't think you will trash him. I'm no mustang expert, but camshafts are usually a pretty serious n/a upgrade. Or did you mean cam sprockets? I think he can break 13's without too much difficulty. You should throw on a mbc just for fun anyway.

·
Bored User
8,535 Posts
I don't know... If you are bone stock you might have a hard time holding him off after the 1/8 mile mark. If his GT has a chip, cam, intake and exhaust work it should be pretty quick. If you aren't good at launching yet, my money is on the Mustang.

You need to launch at atleast 4500RPM with a VERY fast slip, almost a complete dump. Try bouncing the revs between 4500-5000RPM's, on the green light floor it, as the revs go up the clutch comes out VERY fast. Hold on and get ready for the 1-2 shift. Only let off the gas about 1/2 way during shifts.

·
The gloves are now off
1,508 Posts
shoopdog29 said:
I have a 1991 3000 GT VR4 my car is all stock. This kids is a 2000 Mustang GT with an x-pipe, Cold air intake, chip, and a cam. He is talkin trash. He thinks that his car handles better then mine. He also said he has upward of 380+ hp. which is a bunch of BS. With my calculations he has 300 hp. at most. How do you guys think I could take him? What RPM should I slip the clutch at or drop it to get the best launch?
He has some pretty good mods, a CAM can mean a lot of things, some very aggresive cams will yield some serious increase in power. I am not really an expert on the sohc 4.6 i know the 5.0 mostly. :) 1999+ mustangs are capable of 13.9-14.1 stock if he is a very good driver. So i would say he IS in the 13s at the track, now on the street its a different story :) If he is an auto, hes dead. If he has the 5 speed, you will really have to get a good launch. The other good news for you is he forgot to do the best mod for the car :) If he didnt change the gears hes just dumb.:D

V

·
0 Posts
Throw K&N FIPK, and Boost Controller.That way,you will have
much greater chance to beat him.

In stock form,I'm guessing probably you and him would be very
close.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Question: How can he have "a cam", there are TWO cams on that car. Not to mention, cams for the 4.6L are nearly impossible to come by. SHM is making re-grinds, but thats about it. No manufactureres are currently making cams to drop in. So someone is full of crap.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Call his bluff. Rub his ego a little first. Tell him he probably has the faster car, then ride the clutch off at about 5500 rpms.

·
Registered
683 Posts
billcarson said:
Question: How can he have "a cam", there are TWO cams on that car. Not to mention, cams for the 4.6L are nearly impossible to come by. SHM is making re-grinds, but thats about it. No manufactureres are currently making cams to drop in. So someone is full of crap.
The mustang GT is a SOHC V-8. DOHC is cobra territory.

·
Just Bring It
2,835 Posts
I would definately watch out, from a roll, stock on stock, you may lose.

The 2000 Mustang GT puts out 223HP to the wheels...... a 91 VR4 puts 217 to the wheels, and weighs in at 500lbs more.

From a stand Still you may hold him off for a QM, but after that, its not looking good.

I say spend $400 and get a Manual boost controller and a BOV, that will allow you to beat him easily

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Hey GTO.. the GT's are SOHC but there are 2 heads :)
Just like the Base 3k's

the DOHC are cobra's.. thats 4 cams just like the VR4/TT/SL/RT

It does have 2 cames, 1 for each head

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've smoked a couple of '99+ Mustangs and I don't think my VR4 is all that fast - it has 133K miles on it with the stuff in the sig. I say go after him - try to have him follow you through some turns on wet pavement... Good lick whatever you decide.

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
I ran a [email protected] 2 weeks ago with a 2.1 60' in a 2002 Mustang GT. Hard as hell to hook up (all stock, only 700 miles) especially with the stock radials.

I have ran a [email protected] in my Stealth in hot ass weather with 1.0 o2 sensor voltage (read - rich as hell) and a 1.9 60'. My stealth is waaaay faster than the Mustang (friend's new car) but my stealth is also not stock (not even close).

·
Registered
131 Posts
GTO1994 said:

The mustang GT is a SOHC V-8. DOHC is cobra territory.
Well, GT01994, thanks for clearing that up:rolleyes:
Reminds me of an interesting quote I once heard..."better to look like a fool and say nothing, than to open ones mouth and removal all doubt."

·
Registered
683 Posts
Hey Bill, no need to be an asshole. I misunderstood something, I don't get what your deal is though.

·
Registered
131 Posts
MY deal? Well, I stated a few facts, hopefully to help someone out who needed a little info. My statement was based on fact. Your's was not. If that makes me an asshole, so be it. Maybe I shoulda' used a smiley face or something, that way it wouldn't seem so harsh. ;)

·
Registered
683 Posts
Smilely would have been better. I took your previous statement as a harsh one, but if it wasn't meant to be then thats cool. I should keep my mouth shut about mustangs though. I hate those damn things anyway.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts