1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
n/m

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
If I recall, no. It's just a matter of popping off the two clips on either side of it and there are screws under there and theres on more screw involed but I'm forgetting it.. Why ask, just go tackle it... The display is actually onliy like 2" thick, theres a flat computer unit under it tho thats a little larger than a double CD case (lol I have one sitting on my desk).
Take care and good luck.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Wait I lied. I think you can do it by either remving the dash or the center console. I think it's easier with the console out... Oh hell look it up on Jeffs page. :)

·
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mike, You crack me up!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ya, I replaced my A/C Display Unit before. (My Display screen was shorted during respray and replaced another complete used unit. Search LED or LCD my post a couple of months back).

Yes, you have to unscrew the center console and unplug the ashtray & lighter harnesses and move the console a few inches back away from the dash. For easier access to the A/C unit, remove the glovebox. Remove Center Aircond Vent assembly (clip type, so ply from front). I remember the AC Display Unit has four screws to the dash. Below it is the AC Control Unit computer too.

Good Luck

·
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why do you have to move the center console back? Where are you pulling the AC unit out? And do those two little pieces that cover the side screws for the AC unit, do they just pop off?
Thanks!

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,853 Posts
Will....

If I recall properly from my indiglo install....

Take out the "cupholder" in the console.
Remove the two screws in the back of the console.
Pop the 1/2" by 4" plastic cover at the front of the inside of the console piece.
Remove those two screws.
Pull the shifter boot from the console.

Pop those two pieces you spoke of ealier.
Remove the two screws under them.

Im pretty sure you have to remove the center vents too, cuz there's 1 more screw holding the A/C display unit there.

Walla.

Just to be sure, like everyone else said, check Jeff's site. I used his instructions, and except for the passenger airbag stuff (2nd gen, and Jeff has a 1st gen) it was dead on.

*Can't ever thank Jeff enough!!!

Bob.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I am a newbie here. Can someone tell me where Jeff's page is? I have a 92 VR4 with some elements of the display burned out and am thinking of replacing it. Thanks for the information.

·
13,853 Posts

·
13,853 Posts

·
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Bob!!!

So when are you going to swing over here and let me check out your car. I'm trying to talk Shane into coming up here (since he's buying George's car (Amkread).

One more thing, where do you take the unit out at, the bottom? Is that why we need to move the center console?

Thanks Again!!!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Player, funny you should ask. This past weekend had to take mine out to replace a couple of burnt out lights. There are two screws on either side you have to take out. If yo pop the two clips out and look into the space behind there you can see the screws but really can't get to them without the center console out. I have the manual A/C but if I'm not mistaken you take them out the same.

·
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Bryen, but when you actually remove the AC unit, where do you remove it from(do you have t slide it down and out)? Do you have to remove the stereo as well?

·
Registered
321 Posts
If I'm not mistaken the digital ones can come out of the open your looking at after all three screws are removed.

·
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wait a second. Does the center console detatch right where the side screws are that hold the AC unit in place (the ones that you have to remove the covers to get to)? If that's the case then the stereo would move out of the way as well and allow you to pull the AC unit out. Did you follow that?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yes and no. I beleive the stereo is also mounted to the two metal bracket behind the sides of your center console that is only held in by a couple of screws. If however you take those screw out.... well you get the picture. I didn't have to take out my radio to do it just the console. Hope this helps. What is it your trying to do again? If you need help e-mail [email protected]. If your not busy Sunday afternoon maybe we could get together and dick around with it.

·
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm trying to replace the bulbs in the back, the ones that light up the buttons for the unit.
Are you busy tomorrow? In case I don't get a chance to check my mail I PM'd you my cell number.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I just took my digital A/C display out yesterday to replace it. My LED display stopped working a few weeks ago, so I got another one from a parted-out car.

I got the display out without taking out the dash or console. I took out the center air vent assembly and then popped off the two covers for the side screws. Then took out all three screws that hold the display in. I unscrewed the radio and moved it down a little for some more room.

After that, I spent about 30 minutes wiggling, adjusting, and moving the display around inside it's little area, trying to get it to come out. It takes a lot of tricks, but you can squeeze it out of its opening without removing the dash or console.

On a side note, the display I put in was from a 91 VR-4. The yellow LED's seem much more orange than my 92 display. The orange LED's look very close the red LED's, and the whole display is a little dimmer and darker than my 92. Interesting.

Good luck!

- Brad
92 Pearl White R/T

·
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Brad

1 - 20 of 20 Posts