Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
No manual transmission will have a neutral safety switch. They use a clutch sensor switch instead.

Enjoy your remote start installation. That's why most people ask this question anyway :)

·
Bostig.com
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already have a remote starter...

There's a guy doing a group buy on Viper alarms in the group buy section. He's telling us the the manual tranmission cars have a neutral safety switch. I don't believe he is correct and am looking for other opinions...

Lorne

·
I suck @ Life
1,934 Posts
I think john M is right, when got the remote starter on my sentra, it had no safety what so ever (viper system), later I found out that there was clifford (i think?) alarm that came with somekind of nuetral safety switch......to this day I still leave my car in neutral when i park :rolleyes:

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
The proper way to put remote start on a manual transmission-equipped car is to use a magnetic switch attached to the bottom of the shifter.

Glue, zip-tie, etc, a magnet to the bottom of the shift lever. Use a magnetic door switch (like for home security systems) that is normally closed (closed when magnet is near). Align it so when you shift out of neutral it moves the magnet and opens the safety circuit.

Problem solved.

·
Registered
322 Posts
just get a simple, low-power infrared sensor

just get a simple, low-power infrared sensor and put it below the shifter in the center console so that it's on whenever the the stick isn't dead-center. I haven't done this yet, but will soon.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
The $2 sensor from Radio Shack fits the bill nicely. Installs in only a few minutes, works for years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts