Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of changing my bulbs to Koito whitebeams or the piaa superwhites..

my concern is that the bulbs may appear to bright to others but are cars are low to the ground so the light wouldn't be as bad from say a sedan or a truck ?

though seeing those superwhites on benz and such piss me off.. i find they're really too bright.. so I don't want to cause other the same grief by switching to superwhites...

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have bulbs such as those... do you have pop up head lights? Cause if you do, when you install the bulbs, you can easily lower the beam projection such as I did so I wouldnt be blinding people. I love the buls though, because now I can see real well, where as on the factory bulbs, I didnt believe they were powerful enough.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Don't worry, your bulbs will never be THAT bright. The bulbs that you see on the Benz's, BMW's, Audi's, and Lexus's are a special lighting system...not just bulbs. To install lights like those you would be looking at around $2500, maybe more. The closest that you can get are PIAA Super Whites (so I am told). These will give you better vision, without blinding others. Of course last I checked they were between $65-$90 a pair. There are less expensive bulbs, but you must be careful that they won't short any wires. I have read posts on other sites that some overseas brands may be junk.

·
3,802 Posts
Brian E.,

What light bulbs do you have, and where did you get them?

How much did they cost?

How long have you had them?

Do you think they work better than Halogen?

Thanks for your time,
Player--'92 3000GT SL

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I have the PIAA Superwhite Platinum's. As someone else noted these are as good as you can get without a HID conversion and that will run $2000+. I have them on my '94 VR4.

The low beams are 55W and claimed to produce the equivalent light of a 100W bulb. The high beams are 60W and claimed to produce the equivalent of a 110W bulb.

Haven't installed the fog light bulbs yet because this is more work than the simple change for the headlights.

They produce a whiter light (nice and white, no yellow cast like the factory standard halogen).

The low beams seem only very slightly brighter. The effect from the high beams is more noticeable.

I have not had only negative responses from oncoming cars (no headlight flashing).

Here in SW Virginia the back roads are not well lit and so end up very dark. These did provide a measure of improvement.

I got mine from http://www.autobulbdepot.com.
Can't say if you could get them cheaper somewhere else. Their selector was easy to use, order and delivery as promised. Good FAQ at their site.

Hope this helps.

Chris

·
3,802 Posts
Chris,
That link isn't working for me. Thank you for all of the information, but can you double check the address?
Thanks,
Player--'92 3000GT SL
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
i have 90/110w astra dicroic blue bulbs and have had no problems at all. they are super bright too!

·
Lovbyts
3,618 Posts
I just ordered mine through JC Whitney. 90\130 H4 white hot metal plasma for $15 each. I also got the 165mm lenses with regular 130/90 H4s for $21 each.

·
3,802 Posts
This question is for all of you who have replied. Are any of these light bulbs for the first generation cars?
Thanks,
Player

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I checked the link and it should work. Looks like someone else did also.

I can't say for certain about the first generation cars. Auto bulb depot's vehicle finder says that these are sealed beam, no upgrade available. I'd check further in that this may only mean that they don't sell anything for these models. Ofcourse you would probably be looking at a complete light change or another sealed beam lamp with different internal components.

By the way, I think it cost me about $190 delivered for the four headlight bulbs (2 low beam 55W, 2 high beam 60W - these were bought as sets but can be purchased individually) and the 2 fog lamps (these are the 85W upgrade lamps not the standard 55W).

Chris

·
Lovbyts
3,618 Posts
I have a 91 Stealth TT The head light assy you will need is any one of these three (13ZX9320Y 60/55-watt bulb or 88ZX9846B 100/80 watt bulb or 88ZX9844X 130/90 watt bulb they are about $20.00 each) They come with the 165mm glass lenses. You can also get the white hot metal plasma bulbs for the H4 lenses part 81HC7293W 60/55 Watt $9.99 81HC7294U 100/90 Watt $11.99 or 81HC7295A 130/90 Watt $19.95)
I hope this helps. Here is the link. The descriptions aren't very good so I called and got the information but this is correct. http://www.jcwhitney.com

[This message has been edited by Paul H. (edited January 05, 2000).]

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
That's weird because I called and asked them if they had any that would fit the Stealth/3000GT (165mm) and they told me NO. I was looking for a set for my dad's Stealth since I already have them in my VR4.
Could you let me know once you receive them or if you already have them just to make sure they are right.

Thanks,
Andy

·
Lovbyts
3,618 Posts
the 4X6 is the 165 mm. You can go the there web site and use the find it service. Just ask what ever you are looking for and they will e-mail you back.

·
145 Posts
I got my head lights at AutoOptiks and am very happy with them. I got the sealed beam conversion kit, and two "ultrawhite" bulbs by Astra for only $70.00 plus S&H. I prefer the high intensity bulbs, 90W/100W (Lumens: 1455/2465), and have not had one complaint or flash by an on comming car. I have pop-up lights, so I did angle them down a tad. AutoOptiks have tons of bulb types in two brands Astra, or more well known Philips, and all of their prices are very reasonable. Here is their address: http://www.autooptiks.com/front.htm
If you don't get bulbs from there, they have alot of good info car lighting to read about.
Good Luck,
Ryan T.
1993 3000GT SL
Damn!..I almost sound like a salesman or something.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any one have any suggestions on how to increase the cabin lights? Replacement bulbs? Mods? I find that it's too dark and I'm looking for ways to increase the light in the cabin. I have a '97 with the HomeLink so there is no dome light. Even the personal light seems dark for reading.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts