Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1998 3000GT VR-4
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am relatively new to the 3S platform and have had an amazing time with my car so far. I also am new to the autoX world. This summer I have participated in 3 days of autocross and have gradually improved my driving skill as well as my car's capabilities. My most important car modifications have been Tein Flex Z coilovers and Federal RS-RR tires. This weekend I placed 4th raw time/ 3rd pax time out of 28 participants. I plan to continue my growth with this platform and in this new to me sport, it certainly is a blast.

3000gt.jpg

tires.jpg

·
Registered
Mitsubishi's
117 Posts
Congratulations. Auto-X is fun. Our weight is a disadvantage, but you might be surprised to see what you can do. A lot has to be said for sticky tires and driver mod. Those 2 alone can net great results.

·
Registered
1994 Mitsubishi 3000gt VR-4
155 Posts
Whoa wonderful. I am curious what is your wheel setup?(As in wheel sizes.) That wide meaty stance got me excited! :D

·
Registered
1998 3000GT VR-4
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The wheels are Avid1 Av-06 18x9.5 with 38 offset and an 8mm spacer to obtain brake clearance. The tires are Federal RS-RR 265/35R18.

·
Money pit owner.
2,767 Posts
Wheels look awesome! Post a race video too, if you have one :)

·
Registered
1998 3000GT VR-4
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have any video yet, but I hope to get setup for the next event.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Love to see it! Did some autocross before I sold my 94 sl and it was way more fun and competitive than expected. Been itching to see how different my 95 VR4 would feel but have to wait till next month's when my clutch is broken in.

·
Registered
1998 3000GT VR-4
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is a blast. Our cars do a lot better than expected. Driver mod excluded, I beat a GTR and a C5 Z06.

·
Registered
1994 3000GT VR4 - 1999 Lexus SC400
769 Posts
Nice work way to represent! And beautiful car!
I have not autocrossed my VR4, but I have autocrossed many times in my Lexus SC300 (RIP) and SC400 these past 3 years. Its such a great way to have fun with your car and test your driver skill.

You did the right thing by upgrading suspension and tires before anything power related. As you probably know, autox isnt about power, its about balance.

I may autox my VR4 one day but its pretty low mileage and I would feel guilty throwing it around as hard as I would want to compete. But I'll probably do it one day.

Definitely invest in a gopro or even a mount for your phone to capture some video.
Review the video after each lap to see where you can improve or see something you may not have while racing.
Plus you can then make cool videos for youtube :)

Enjoy and keep kicking butt!

Reactions: And_44

·
Registered
403 Posts
I kicked a brand new Supra's ass today coming back from cars and coffee. Dropped into 3rd at 70 and hit it, all the Supra did was make noise like it was going to accelerate but just sort of didn't. Hit fourth, passed it, all it was seeing was the fat bottom of my 97 VR4. Fun time on the 405. Cool dense air/+some E-85 works magic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts