Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a few months ago I purchased a maft and gm maf from 68 whiskey on this site. I was in the process of rebuilding my car so I diddnt not use the maft or maf till a week or so ago when we finally had the car ready to run. I had a very good friend of mine wire the translator up and upon startup the maft would not power up. We double checked all wiring and still would not power up. We then took the power and ground cable for the maft and ran it straight to the battery to see if it would power on to still no avail. The maft had been sitting in the box he shipped it to me in the entire time until install a couple weeks ago. I contacted boomer who I is on this site and a local member to me about the wiring the day of install and I have two very well respect members of the Dsm community that were at my home on day of install. 6868whiskey blames the problem on me saying I must have wired it wrong and fried the box and won't return my money. I have PayPal involved but doesn't look like this is covered under there buyer protection so just wanna warn anyone else before they get ripped off. I'm out 200 bucks and will be way more carefully when buying items from this site again.

·
Doc
1,448 Posts
I want everyone to know that this MAFT and gm maf was proven WORKING before I sold it. I've been on this forum for quite some time and very active.

Tbandit had the products for 2-3 months prior to this dilemma. I, just like many other forum members, do not provide a warranty with items sold. If he had received it and immediately tested it and found it was defective, I would've had no problem returning his money.
I asked him as well if he had used the "OEM MAF to GM MAF" adapter, and he said he had not and that he had just hacked into the OEM wiring. This makes me think it is not the only thing he has done wrong.

PayPal has decided with me in the claim. Again, if he had tested the product when he first received it, and it had not worked, I would've refunded his money immediately with no issue.

I am sure you can contact many forum members here who I have sold parts to and ensure my items have been known working and well.

Thank you.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did use the gm maf adapter and if you 're read my message it saids I did. We wired it without the adapter as well just to see if that harness was the issue. It was wired in correctly. We wired it into the factory ecu as the instructions said. After it diddnt turn on we then tested it other ways with the translator never turning on. Clearly I made the mistake of not testing it when I received it as I assumed it was in good working order.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have multiple witnesses that the item was never installed till just a few weeks ago and on the day of install the item would never turn on. I can bring these people onto the forum to prove this point if needed.

·
Doc
1,448 Posts
I did use the gm maf adapter and if you 're read my message it saids I did. We wired it without the adapter as well just to see if that harness was the issue. It was wired in correctly. We wired it into the factory ecu as the instructions said. After it diddnt turn on we then tested it other ways with the translator never turning on. Clearly I made the mistake of not testing it when I received it as I assumed it was in good working order.
It was in working order when I sold it. I am not a business, nor do I provide a warranty. You've had the MAFT for 2-3 months now.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will personally pay to mail this item back and if you can get it to turn on send it back and we have no problems. If it doesn't turn on I would like my money back. I'm not here trying to scam someone by installing a item then if it breaks months later trying to lie and get my money back. That is not the case. All I want is a working maft which I never received.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not asking for a warranty the item never worked. Sorry I diddnt test it right away as I wasn't ready to install it but saw the items I needed for sale and bought then when I had the money.

·
Spd Kills your bank acc.
1,148 Posts
just curious... Since you had it for 2-3 months, where was it stored? electronic boards can go bad if kept in humid areas. You can post of up a photo of the MAFt. If it was shorted there should be scaring on the board or a blown capacitor.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll take some pics of it when I get home and post them up. Anyone have any ideas of another way to test it to see if it will turn on.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Hey tbandit, I get your side of things. unfortunately, it is not the seller's job to make you test the item to ensure proper working order. even at 60-90 days you would be hard pressed to get a business to back you up on your claim with a warranty if it was new.

68whiskey is not a business nor is the forums a BBB to complain about him. if you really want to "warn other people" use the feedback on the itrader on this forum that is particular to each person. that is how we should all judge if sellers are honest about what they portray (and the whole point of it on the forum). i won't point out the silly details in comments on his feedback but it is obvious out of the 5 people who left feedback only 1 was dissatisfied. you take that risk buying from him even if paypal didn't side with you (which considering the length of time it was in your possession, even I would have a hard time giving you repayment)

since it was used, there is always the risk that items will fail at any time. you as the buyer assume all risk and I am sure that even within 30 days (most stores follow this for electronics) but for sure within 15 days (lowest warranty day period I know of) 68Whiskey would work something out with you. He claims it was working before he sold it and electronics are very much a work or don't. yes you got a great deal with both items being a low price of $200, but sometimes things break and you may have done something without realizing it.

now onto what can be done here:
-you buy a new working one for $200 or another used from someone accepting the risk
-you take apart the MAFT and see why it won't power up. should be very clear on the circuit board what went bad. (caps are not designed to last forever and depending on circumstances these could have gone bad, idk?) then test for where the problem is using basic multimeter skills and some electrical knowledge.
-pay someone to do the above for you^^^
-you get a refund (which honestly is prob not going to happen in your favor....even though I get you were doing rebuild and not everyone (myself included here) has all the time and tools and equipment to get rebuilds done within a few days)

I really do feel bad that you have the bad luck of experiencing this, but just because it doesn't power up doesn't make it the seller's fault. if it were me, I would inspect the translator further.

I don't mean to sound like the bad guy here, but don't make a "hate" or "warning do not buy" thread you would about a business on here about a single person where you had one transaction with him. that is what the itrader notification is for on this forum. I tried to write this as factual as possible to eliminate any biasing anyone may feel I have one way or another (seller vs buyer).

best of luck and if you need help with figuring out the translator please make a new thread or look up some threads to help guide you in solving the issue.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
i did not see your comment just not 68whiskey about the humidity but that is exactly what I was getting at with my comment on checking the circuit board.

tbandit please post a pic here so we can help.

·
SDSU Alumnus
2,988 Posts
FWIW, FTS does rebuild Translators if you contact them. Last year, Dmitri bought a BRAND NEW unit from a known vendor here, and it was DOA. He sent it to get serviced and bought a used one that worked well; now he has a spare backup.

Electronics and technology are just like that though, so it is to be expected.

//edit// I would also like to add that I recently bought a used MAF-T box (for another friend/client) for a fraction of what you paid knowing full well that it may or may not still function after having sat in a closet for a year. It does suck that you are in this situation, but only so much disclosure and assurance can be made aside from one's word/rep on here. I would be irritated too though.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
FWIW, FTS does rebuild Translators if you contact them. Last year, Dmitri bought a BRAND NEW unit from a known vendor here, and it was DOA. He sent it to get serviced and bought a used one that worked well; now he has a spare backup.

Electronics and technology are just like that though, so it is to be expected.

//edit// I would also like to add that I recently bought a used MAF-T box (for another friend/client) for a fraction of what you paid knowing full well that it may or may not still function after having sat in a closet for a year. It does suck that you are in this situation, but only so much disclosure and assurance can be made aside from one's word/rep on here. I would be irritated too though.
Usually the only thing that goes bad is the memory chip. You can buy new ones for about $35 from full throttle.

·
Member #538
1,262 Posts
In regards to humidity, I would hope a product designed to work under the hood could survive humidity from storage so long as it wasn't condensing or submerged.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
This is unfortunate for the buyer and the seller. As a potential buyer from a board member who isnt willing to offer some sort of help in repairing or figuring out what happened is a bit sketchy in my opinion.

As a seller id want to know exactly what happened so id have peace of mind that i didnt sell a bad product.

As for the buyer it is always recommended to test any device expecially electrical before buying.

Maybe 68 can help cover costs on repair do a 50/50 sort of deal so you both split the costs and take the brunt of repairs together. In the long run, that would show other potential buyers that your both great people who are willing to help eachother. REMEMBER this is a community lets help eachother out!!!!

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
In regards to humidity, I would hope a product designed to work under the hood could survive humidity from storage so long as it wasn't condensing or submerged.
My thought exactly

1 - 19 of 19 Posts