Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
In God We Trust
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am adding a K&N filter (knockoff) to replce the stock airbox. I heard somewhere that I should disconnect the battery, then reconnect it, start engine allowing the ECU to get used to the new air flow coming into the MAS. I hope this doesn't sound too confusing...Is this true?

I've heard that there will be some idling hesitation at first once the air filter is in place, but the ECU will become familiar with the change without further difficulty. Is this true?

·
Bored User
8,535 Posts
Might as well disconnect it..

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I've posted about this in another thread long ago.

Think about it - if the ECU can learn everything from scratch after you unplug it, then think how much faster it will learn if you don't unplug it and the only new thing it has to deal with is a change in airflow.

I say that this "disconnect and relearn" theory is crap.

·
UP THE IRONS!!!
3,129 Posts
Yes, the battery should be disconnected....I believe it indicated so on the installation instructions. I put mine on, reconnected the battery, and ran flawless from day one.

·
og
4,293 Posts
the reason they say to disconnect the battery is for when you disconnect the mas. you hafta clear out a trouble code if you accidentally start your car without the mas plugged in. it really doesn't make a difference if you disconnect the battery tho, it will learn the new airflow regardless of wether the ecu is reset or not, it will just take a moment longer if you disconnect. hope this helps, safe travels.

- mike

·
og
4,293 Posts
the ecu is constantly learning and evaluating.. it WILL learn the new air flow numbers without being reset. i don't know what's up with that dsm tho :confused: safe travels

- mike

·
Senior Fanatic
6,011 Posts
My person experience has been that the ECM can get "stuck" in a pattern of behavior. While it is technically true that the ECM constantly learns, resetting it provides a good starting point after a mod, whether necessary or not. Resetting the ECM is totally harmless - assuming you have security codes for any devices that might need them after power removal.

http://www.tmo.com/theory/myth/ecureset.htm

http://members.home.net/costall/ECUprimer/

·
og
4,293 Posts
thanks for clearing that up jeff, seems we were both kinda right :D i actually went to your site looking for info to back me up but couldn't track it down. well glad this is cleared up, safe travels fellas.

- mike

·
In God We Trust
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Jeff for the DSM literature. It made it very clear as what to do concering the battery disconnect vs. ECU reset. Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts