Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the turbo cars, the DN intake pipes that connect between the MAS and turbos, how do these things add up for performance. The theory is good behind them, but do they actually help? Just looking for peoples opinions of them that have them installed.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The stock intake pipes are smaller and have ridges in them so the dn intake pipes will flow better, they probably only give a very unnoticable increase in HP, maybe 1-2 hp unless you are running much larger than stock turbos. they look better and you can hear the turbos more with them.

·
Just havin' fun!
1,151 Posts
I like mine. Put them on before while I still had stock turbos, and could tell a slight difference in turbo spooling pitch. They definitely flow more air than the stock plastic ones. I think the larger the turbos, the more they help!:D Plus they look nice and shiney :) ~ even though they're kind of hard to see, especially the rear one.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I got mine after my rear factory intake pipe split where it mounts up to the turbo. They are cheaper than two new factory ones, and they are a performance item, so heck yeah I like them!

·
Beach Bum
1,724 Posts
If you're using the ARC2, or have a larger than normal air filter, the intake pipes need to be trimmed. I had to cut off an inch or so off of them to get them to fit with the ARC2 filter. They're awesome for larger turbos such as the 368's since the intake on the compressor side is the same size as the DN intake piping.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I like the looks and theoretically you might notice a quicker response time since they don't expand like the plastic ones but it is best if all the turbo piping is replaced with steel which I am working toward with mine to help reduce lag.

·
Just havin' fun!
1,151 Posts
Fierce said:
If you're using the ARC2, or have a larger than normal air filter, the intake pipes need to be trimmed. I had to cut off an inch or so off of them to get them to fit with the ARC2 filter. They're awesome for larger turbos such as the 368's since the intake on the compressor side is the same size as the DN intake piping.
I didn't have to trim my pipes to fit with the ARC2. But I did trim the inside of the K&N barrel filter so it would slide up onto the big MAS more!:D

So are the 368 inlets 2", cause I think that's what the pipes are, right?! My Phantom inlets are 2.25"o.d. and the hoses were a pain to slide on, especially the rear one!

·
Registered
331 Posts
i ordered my dn intake tubes yesterday. i know that it won't give me a big gain, but they will look nice in the engine bay.

·
Beach Bum
1,724 Posts
DN products have gone through many revisions. If you notice on Jeff Lucius site, the original pipes were too long and actually came with a reducer built in from the 2.35" diameter on the DN pipes to the much smaller diameter of the stock turbos. I ended up cutting this reducer off and got the pipes to fit with the ARC2 filter. The intake side on the GT368's is 2.35"- same size as my DN Intake pipes. I paid $10 for 2 turbonetics couplers.

·
Just havin' fun!
1,151 Posts
white95TT said:
I am thinking about getting these. How hard of an install is this and what is involved?
It's a pretty simple install. Just take off your y-pipe and you should be able to get to everything. And then it's simply taking off the old ones and installing the new ones. I recommend puting the hoses onto the turbos first, tightening them down, then put the pipes in. My stock turbos seemed slightly louder when spooling up after the pipes were in. Plus they look nice!:D

·
AEM Veteran
2,066 Posts
What about the direct intake pipes that eliminate the MAS...does anyone have a set of these? I'm running the AEM ECU and so I'm looking to get rid of my MAS.

·
Just havin' fun!
1,151 Posts
FWombat said:
What about the direct intake pipes that eliminate the MAS...does anyone have a set of these? I'm running the AEM ECU and so I'm looking to get rid of my MAS.
Oooooooo!:eek: That's over my head!:D I want the new ECUs to be out a while before I go that route. I'd contact AEM and see what they have, or for that matter anyone selling the new ECUs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.