Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I decided to take off my intake and throttle body and clean up the insides real good. Get rid of all those carbon deposits and dirt (there wasn't as much as expected). After a good cleaning with some carb cleaner and a toothbrush, I decided to do a little experiment that I have been wanting to try. On the non-turbo cars (don't know about SOHC??) we have a variable intake system. It is basicly just a series of butterfly valves in the runners, one in each, that open and close depending on throttle position. The turbo cars don't have this for some reason. Anyway, I have been wanting to disable it for some time now and find out the results. I found out that there is an adjustment screw on the side of the intake which opens and closes all the valves. I set it on full open and have been driving it all night. Now remember, this is just my butt dyno, the mind can be deciving. The car definitly seemed a little punchier, and more willing to get up to speed. I noticed the biggest results on the highway while passing. I will try to do a before and after with a G-Tech Pro here soon and I will post what I find.
Later,

·
Large Member
6,164 Posts
Steve took a n/a plenum with the variable intake, modified it, and put it on his VR-4.. he said it helps out with low end power..

·
Registered
18,548 Posts
me and my girlfriend were thinking about throwing my TT intake on her RT/NA. now we will have to try it.

4,448 Posts
well, even if you did open the valves all the way, the motor will close all the way to the stop, closing the valves again.

oh, and if you do put them in the full open position, superglue the screw in place, and then undo the harnesses on the motor, it really really takes away from low end performance. trust me on this, i have done tons of stuff with the VIC motor.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am actually planning on having a shop weld up some aluminum tubes the stock mounting plate and make a carbon fiber airbox. OHHH I can't wait for that!

So, even though I set them open, they still close at a stop?? Before I put my intake hose back on, I started the engine and reved it up a couple of times then checked the valves and they are still open. I haven't checked them since I drove around for a while last night though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts