Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Aghhhh
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever tried to add the digital climate control from the RT/VR4 to a car that didn't originally have it? I seem to remember a few people posting about it a while back but I haven't heard anything about it recently. Looking at the service manual it doesn't look to hard, but I'm looking for insight from anyone who may have tried it. Thanks.

·
Just Bring It
2,835 Posts
Hey Gatecrasher! Help me out here! I bought the Digital Climate control head unit for 150, but It looks really hard to me. First thing is that the Vents on mine are manual. So I cant see how the Digital Climate control will handle the vents. Secondly, It needs light and Temperature sensor. Then there are different connections.

Well, anyways, I guess the main problem I am having, is.... How does the Automatic Climate control, control the Vents. Is there an extra set of Actuators? Or do I need a complete set of Vents.

I will probably pick up a service manual as soon as I can

Thanks
Tuan Luu

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Before you go to all that trouble, go for a ride with someone that has it in their car, and see if you still want it.

It's really impressive at night, but in daylight it can be very hard to see the screen. I'm forever nearly driving into people because I have to stick my face about ten inches from it and shade it with my hand to see which of the blue arrows are lit up.

·
Aghhhh
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice Andrew. I have seen one operate, and I still want it. Maybe I could interest you in trade for a manual system?

Tuan, after a little more research, I came up with a parts list for the auto climate control system.

1: Digital control face unit
2: Motor control interface unit
3: Outside air temp sensor
4: Inside air temp sensor
5: Water temp sensor
6: In dash photosensor
7: Inside/outside air damper motor
8: Air mix motor
9: Outlet selector damper motor
10: All necessary wiring

The manual also lists test procedures for potentiometers in two of the motors (air mix and outlet motors) but I believe these are integrated into the motor assemblies.

Since you've already poked around under the dash, you'd know better than I would if the necessary mounting brackets for the motors are already in place. Same goes for wire harness connections. This is looking like an expensive upgrade, but it would be damn cool in my opinion. Why should the turbo guys get ALL the good stuff?

By the way, where did you order your face unit from? $120 looks like a good price.

I may put in a call to Mitsubishi later today and see how much the rest of it would cost us.

[This message has been edited by Gatecrasher (edited December 06, 1999).]

·
Just Bring It
2,835 Posts
Cool, I bought the Face off of E-bay. It looks like the entire dash will need to come out to Put the Face in, but it would definately be worth it.

Andrew is worrying me though. I have a sunroof and no cover, so I get a lot of light in the car. My stereo Head Units both Have LCD Panels. And they are tough to See in the Day. I am hoping that it is because the Head units are angled torwards the Sunroof.

But I still want the Digital Climate control! I probably will pick up the Service Manual in January. I hope that one of us can get it working.

Tuan Luu
1994 3000GT
Kenwood RR-500# Head Unit (import)
Kenwood 9044 Equalizer

·
Aghhhh
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The manual doesn't say you have to pull the whole dash. Just most of it
I can try to get you the relevant pages out of the manual if you want. Let me know.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
The face was changed slightly after the second model year to make it easier to read in certain light conditions.

If you know what year your unit came from, you will know in advance what type of viewing issues you may have.

(They were a pain up until 92.5-93!)

Eric

·
Just Bring It
2,835 Posts
Hey,I have the Face from a 93 3000GT VR-4. So I guess, I am still in limbo for wether or not I will have problems seeing the Unit. But That is cool, I will just have to risk it! =) Hey, Gatecrasher. If you could send me those pages, it would be a great help. My E-mail Is [email protected] or [email protected] I am definately going to start trying to install it after Christmas.

Tuan Luu
1994 3000GT Base http://mason.gmu.edu/~tluu

[This message has been edited by Tqlla (edited December 06, 1999).]

·
Aghhhh
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Eric, is that when they changed it to the all orange face seen in the 99 3000 brochure? Or is it still orange, blue and red?

Tuan, does the wiring harness on yor car have the connections for the digital system? I think a few of the connectors are interchangable between the manual and auto systems, but the service books aren't very clear on this point. If you could tell me what extra connectors you have on your harness and what is on the back of the face unit, that would help greatly. I'm waiting on a call back from a Mitsu dealer with prices on the motors and related parts.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
They changed the actual unit in 97 from the colors to the orange.

91-96 had the same over all design, but in 92 they rounded the lense on the front. In the early models this was flat.

Eric

·
Just Bring It
2,835 Posts
Thus Far, I haven't looked behind my dash for a while, but When I did NONE of the connectors fit into the Digital face. I can't remember the actual connections though.

In the Back of the digital face there are 2 connections One has 12 pins and the other has 16 they look like this

------ --------
------ --------

Good Luck, I will take a better look behind my dash, but I am kinda tied up till after my finals. Finals end Next Wednesday.

Tuan Luu
1994 3000GT Base

S

·
0 Posts
When I was out looking for a 3000, I test drove a 91 VR4, which had the digital climate controls, which at the time I didn't like. I thought they were hard to use. Then I test drove a 94 SL which had the manual controls, which I liked. Then I drove a 96 VR4 (might I just take a moment and say WOW!) that had the digital controls, and at that moment I asked the salesman (who was in the passenger seat cleaning out his drawers), he told me that the VR4's had the digital, and the SLs had the manual. Well, I didn't buy that 96 VR4 either (27,900 price tag) and then next car I drove was the one I bought, a 92 SL...well guess what? It HAS the digital controls and I REALLY like it now! You set the temperature you want and never touch it again! I have mine set to 70 degrees with the little arrows going out the defrost and at my feet. And it maintains 70 all the time! The arrows are red when warm air is coming in and blue when cold air is coming in. In some light conditions it does have a glare, but overall its pretty readable. MY question would be, was this an option on any 3000GT?...Up until my car, I had only seen it in the VR4's.
To those that want this as an upgrade...I don't know if I would do it if it was expensive, but if I could get all the components for under $250.00, I would probably do it...I love it!
Randy

·
Aghhhh
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I called a local Mitsu dealer about those parts today. If we're going to do this, it's NOT going to be with dealer parts. The face unit that Tuan has is supposedly $950 BY ITSELF! I won't bother listing what the other parts cost.
Anyone know any good salvage yards?

·
Just Bring It
2,835 Posts
YIKES! 950, it is a good thing that I already have a face! The only thing I can suggest is wait around the classifieds in this Website to see if you can find someone parting out a 91-93 SL, 91-94 VR-4, any year R/T or R/T TT. I saw 2 earlier this year, so it is not impossible to find one. I will keep an eye out at the Junk yard for you. I am always going out there.

I WILL NOT LET THIS DREAM DIE!!!!
But I am probably going to buy a 99 Facia First.

Tuan Luu
1994 3000GT

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
EricL, the display unit actually didn't change until 1998. 1997 still had the multi-colored unit, 1998 saw the changeover to the monochromatic look and different button configuration with a knob. Details... :) 1994 was the last year the Stealth saw it. In 1995, even the Twin Turbo had the manual climate controls.

EricB

1 - 16 of 16 Posts