Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

141 - 160 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have been reading this thread from the beginning-can't seem to find a comment on weather or not there could be an eventual failure of the air conditioning system or something else if the only current issue is no illumination-I can live without the lights.
I doubt anyone has anything conclusive, but in my case, it seems that this could happen. My display unit started failing and then completely failed and my A/C was still working. After a while, AC stopped working, even when I replaced it with a working display unit. I ended up having to replace my compressor.

·
3SWiki.org
9,720 Posts
SC91rt - not that I've heard of. Two separate issues from what I understand.

Then again, we are talking about 14+ year old capacitors. If you notice some capacitors going out but not all, you're better off replacing them all at the same time while you're in there.

·
Twin Turbo
5,115 Posts
The caps leak and if left unrepaired the fluid will start to damage the circuit board. I had to repair 3 tracks on mine to get it working again. The tracks effected in my case where only for the display but if left longer damage to other circuits might have happened.

Sent from my GT-I9300

·
Registered
8 Posts
I understand the actual climate unit and screen are pretty much interchangeable 91-97-my question involves the actual computer portion of the system. I am contemplating sending both parts to galaxycarparts to be rebuilt but I do not know if the computer unit is interchangeable like the screen part is. Is the computer part more specific by year, make, model and trans or are they universal? I hope someone can answer my question. Thanks in advance

·
TWIN-TURBO---
2,474 Posts
So who can actually fix these?

·
Twin Turbo
5,115 Posts
I understand the actual climate unit and screen are pretty much interchangeable 91-97-my question involves the actual computer portion of the system. I am contemplating sending both parts to galaxycarparts to be rebuilt but I do not know if the computer unit is interchangeable like the screen part is. Is the computer part more specific by year, make, model and trans or are they universal? I hope someone can answer my question. Thanks in advance
As far as I know all are the same but I would need to confirm that with ASA. If you can wait a few days I'll check it for you.

Sent from my GT-I9300

·
Twin Turbo
5,115 Posts
OK I had a few spare mins this afternoon so I looked it up. There are 3 different part numbers for both the display unit and the control unit. It looks like the 2nd revision of the control unit is replaced by the newer 3rd part number therefore confirmed 100% compatible. For the display unit it lists 3 different numbers and no alternative number. However my car is a 1990 model JDM TT and I used the display from a USDM model which I doubt was the exact same part number as the original one.

Display unit part numbers

Control unit part numbers

·
Twin Turbo
5,115 Posts
So who can actually fix these?
In theory if you take them to any reputable appliance repair centre they should be able to replace any of the faulty components, but obviously they won't really have the ability to test it in a car. You could simply give them the cc unit and supply the common failure components like the 3 large capacitors [C10, C14, C15], the 3 diodes [D5, D6, D7] the main transistor [TR2] and the main resistor [R38]and hope for the best.

·
TWIN-TURBO---
2,474 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Thanks for sharing hypersonic.

I was changing my caps out on ECS (due to code and since I already have the caps) so I figured might as well do the AC control display.

Getting to those common components that fail is quite difficult. I got pretty good at desoldering but getting that display off is on another level. I tried and was not successful and did not want to burn out my board or anything. I can see the damage on r6, r7 but cant do anything about it lol. I applaud anyone who has done this with simple soldering iron. I had to rage quit

·
Twin Turbo
5,115 Posts
Just remember you don't have to desolder all of the components. Some can simply be cut off and soldered on from the top. I did mine without removing the screen.

Sent from my GT-I9300

·
Premium Member
5,750 Posts
I used a soldering wick to soak up excess solder, the process took several hours. Desoldering one pin is easy, but desolding a row of pins is a pain.

Now that I have more desoldering experience, this is probably what I would next time around:

Option A:
(1) Have one person hold the circuit board and have them ready to insert a wedge to push the display out of the soldered holes.
(2) Second person uses a heat gun to melt all solder rows simulataneously.
(3) When solder is in molten state, insert wedge.

Option B:
Use low temperature desoldering solder -- this solder stays molten for several seconds after heat is removed allowing you time to desolder each pin.

·
TWIN-TURBO---
2,474 Posts

·
Twin Turbo
5,115 Posts
Well I just installed my repaired climate control boxes after ebay repair: 3000gt Stealth " Repair Service " Digital A C Climate Temperature Control Panel | eBay

Works like new!

I would highly recommend these guys. I had it back at my door step in 2 weeks!

Rick
Awesome. A quick note to anyone who does this and sends their CC unit away for repair needs to remember/be aware of the fact you cannot drive your car without the CC unit installed. The CC also controls the 2nd fan and it will not turn on without it installed. I guess it might be fine if you lived in very cold climate.

·
It's in the works...
377 Posts
Awesome. A quick note to anyone who does this and sends their CC unit away for repair needs to remember/be aware of the fact you cannot drive your car without the CC unit installed. The CC also controls the 2nd fan and it will not turn on without it installed. I guess it might be fine if you lived in very cold climate.
Great heads up!

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
4,711 Posts
Bringing an old thread back from the dead. My display died, took a pic. Is this repairable?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,475 Posts
Yes I've had a few worse than that. I bought a few 96-97 units with broken tabs cheap. So I'm all set.

141 - 160 of 184 Posts