Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

121 - 140 of 184 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,750 Posts
1. high powered transistor.
2. Transformer. Vacuum Fluorescent display require high voltage to work, so it's most likely stepping up an AC voltage signal. Note: Transformers only work on AC signals not DC. This also means that somewhere in the circuit it is converting DC into AC.

·
Amature-Crastinator
1,803 Posts
1 eyes are bad and cant see the numbers
2 not vacuum tube dinosaur stuff
3 ROFL

Are there any know values on the transformer? resistance,inductance,impedence
Does this board power both the flouro tube and the display screen?
anyone tested the screen itself and connectors to it?
red lines indicate what? high/low voltage path of least resistance and all that?
anyone replace the the flouro itself?

·
JNS Engineering
2,502 Posts
1. high powered transistor.
2. Transformer. Vacuum Fluorescent display require high voltage to work, so it's most likely stepping up an AC voltage signal. Note: Transformers only work on AC signals not DC. This also means that somewhere in the circuit it is converting DC into AC.
DC/DC converters are often based on switching regulators which use an oscillator, a high power transistor, and a coil. The 12V current is switched on and off by the transistor and the energy is stored in the coil. The voltage can be stepped up to a much higher level this way.

·
Twin Turbo
5,115 Posts
Fluros operate off ac power. Hence the need for ac which explains the transformer etc. When I got my car the cc screen was blank but occasionally it would get red lines across it. After repairing it it worked fine. Just the resistor got too hot. Also changing the resistor value effects the brightness of the screen. Obviously more or less power to it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using AutoGuide App

·
TWIN-TURBO---
2,474 Posts
what happened to the 3si wiki writeup on this??

·
Registered
172 Posts
Which resistor was it? I have had an electronic shop try 3 times to fix it, but hasn't been successful.
IMHO, if you replace the common parts once and it doesn't fix it, it's faster and cheaper to just buy a working unit.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Drug up this old thread, because I found a question that I need an answer to that never got answered. Hopefully electronic guru's are still subscribed.

"So my climate had gone blank, no surprise. I went over to radio shack and picked up the suggested caps and resistor from the 3si wiki only to pull mine apart and find what look like a few more damaged parts. Could someone help me identify what kind of resistors ill need to get a hold of or if these are still ok. It looks like R55, R56, R64, R66, R67, also IC3 have a couple black terminals. Thanks for any info.
Attached Thumbnails"

·
Twin Turbo
5,115 Posts

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
I'm having a problem with my a/c as well. I had a climate control go bad, so I bought a new one. It's good, I checked the capacitors. My problem is with this one plugged in the a/c still wont come on. The lights for the buttons on the climate control light up, but the center face will not. Also the unit does not beep like it should. Anyone have any ideas? Or a wiring diagram for the unit?

·
3SWiki.org
9,720 Posts
HYPERSONIC007 said:
what happened to the 3si wiki writeup on this??
In case you're still looking, there's still the old one, but I've also created an updated, easier to follow mirror of it here:

Electrical: Replace ECU, ECS and Climate Control Capacitors - 3000GT/Stealth Wiki

It looks like R55, R56, R64, R66, R67, also IC3 have a couple black terminals. Thanks for any info.
I posted this in your other thread, but figured it might help those in this thread as well.

Here's to help identify TR3 and the colors of R63, R64, R66 and R67.

Here's R55 and R56 (and surrounding area):

And just in case anyone needs to reference IC3, TR2, the commonly burnt R38 or any of the other resistors in the immediate area:

If anyone wants me to take any additional photos of it (different angles, etc), just let me know! :)

·
NC Insurance Agent
487 Posts
I am having this same problem, my first unit I shorted out while driving down the road and a socket fell into the AC adapter slot and blew a fuse and since then the screen didnt work. We attempted to repair the unit, replacing the blown resistors, and we plugged it back up, the display still did not work, and actually burned up (visible smoke/electrical burn, which apparently is pretty common), so that unit was done for. So I traded my window regulator with another Carolina member, but when I plugged it in, the display did not come on as well... Controls still work, beeps upon buttons, but no display again. Guess Ill pop this one apart and try again. Could it possibly be something else?? Additionally, what is the black box behind the Digital Climate Control? Is this related? Could this be part of the problem?

·
og
4,293 Posts
subscribed.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
I'm having a problem with my a/c as well. I had a climate control go bad, so I bought a new one. It's good, I checked the capacitors. My problem is with this one plugged in the a/c still wont come on. The lights for the buttons on the climate control light up, but the center face will not. Also the unit does not beep like it should. Anyone have any ideas? Or a wiring diagram for the unit?
Anyone with any insight on this problem?

·
NC Insurance Agent
487 Posts
Just a curious thought if anyone has bothered to take out the computer behind the digital climate control? This is going to be our next task, to check the computer behind the control, to make sure this unit is good and not full of swollen capacitors or busted diodes or anything...

·
Twin Turbo
5,115 Posts
If the cc isn't working at all try looking at or replacing the other controller. usually What happens is it continues to work but has no display. Yours sounds like maybe the controller behind It.

Sent from my GT-I9300

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
If the cc isn't working at all try looking at or replacing the other controller. usually What happens is it continues to work but has no display. Yours sounds like maybe the controller behind It.

Sent from my GT-I9300
Do you mean the black box that's below the climate control? Kind of between the climate control and the radio? Or the metal thing that's directly behind the climate control. I looked and couldn't find anything a wiring diagram.

·
Twin Turbo
5,115 Posts
Yes the black box. make sure you don't run your car with either of the black box or cc unplugged as it also controls your fans so may find your 2nd fan won't turn on.

Sent from my GT-I9300

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been reading this thread from the beginning-can't seem to find a comment on weather or not there could be an eventual failure of the air conditioning system or something else if the only current issue is no illumination-I can live without the lights.

121 - 140 of 184 Posts