Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!!!! I need your help...for some reason my father needs information on the difference between DIESEL and GASOLINE. What IS BETTER FOR OUR ENVIRONMENT? WHY DO GASOLINE ENGINES NEED INSPECTIONS BUT DIESELS DO NOT? I REALLY NEED SOME INFO IF POSSILBLE. ALL TRUE AND EDUCATED INFORMATION PLEASE>>>>>>THANKS ALL.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I don't have an answer, but I'm going to guess that the American Petroleum Institute probably has a web page, and it may well give the information you seek.

One bit of hearsay - despite the big clouds of black exhaust that they spew out, diesel exhaust is supposed to be cleaner than burnt gasoline, mainly because gasoline is full of killer chemicals that don't announce themselves in big clouds of black exhaust.

·
510 Posts
I'm no petroleum expert, but here is some of the info I have read...

Diesel fuel is "exempt" (for now, anyway...new standards are being ironed out) from typical smog testing due to the fact that most diesel vehicles are commercial use, and represent a very small percentage of actual road going vehicles.

As far as the differences between pump gas and diesel, and the idea that diesel is cleaner, we must look how the two engines operate. Diesel engines are constant burn, (no spark plugs, utilizing "glow plugs" for starting), and rely upon compression to "light the fire", (combustion is a product of spark and pressure,) and most diesels do have a clean burn, producing more NO2 (depletes ozone) and particulates than regular gasoline...But less monoxides. However, and I may be wrong here, I thought diesel engines have a higher level of raw petroleum oils in the mixture, giving off that blue/black smoke commonly associated with it. In fact, this does not neccesarily mean that the exhaust is worse than the spent gases of gasoline.

At any rate, just thought I'd throw my $.02 in...Hope this helps!

Dan J
94 Stealth TT

[This message has been edited by tturbo30 (edited January 11, 2000).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.