Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in a very very sad situation....:(
Last night,I was racing BMW 330Ci from 20mph-140mph,suddenly I felt my engine lost its' power.Whenever I stepped on the gas,
it just doesn't give power like it should.It feels like driving 50 HP
vehicles.

I also noticed a lot of smoke from my exhaust.VERY thick and
has strong oil/gasoline smell.I had similar experience like this,
and it turned out to be my blown Y-pipe.I checked my Y-pipe,
and it seems fine.

I'm very screwed now.The car just won't idle.I have to step on
the gas to keep the engine running.I'm guessing I have a boost
leak,but I couldn't find it.Any suggestion please please....:(

·
Registered
557 Posts
i'd check my timing/timing belt 1st,something sounds like it could have slipped.......but it doesen't sound good my friend:(

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
chuck said:
i'd check my timing/timing belt 1st,something sounds like it could have slipped.......but it doesen't sound good my friend:(
Wouldn't the car can't be running if I slipped my timing belt?
The car is driveable,but the thing is I have to step on the gas
very deeply.
This problem is the exactly the same like when I had blown Y-pipe.
I hope it's only a simple boost leak.I took off the Y-pipe and will
try to install and extra tighthen it again tomorrow.

It's almost 6 am,and I can't sleep with my car being sick.Maybe
I'm obsessed with her...:D

·
Registered
557 Posts
i know how u feel:( yes u could still drive with a slipped timing belt,but i agree with you about possible boost leak.

·
Registered
606 Posts
i don't think a boost leak causes smoke to come out of the exhaust? my guess would be you burned up your rings pretty badly.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Well, it's does sound like you blew your Y-Pipe off. The second time mine came off (I finally had to replace the part), blue smoke blew out the back of the car. Check all the hoses that attach to the pipe. Maybe it's your lucky day.

·
1,054 Posts
Sounds like a internal problem if your getting smoke out the tailpipe blue and black smoke (oil and Fuel ) could have ruined a ring or somthing , Mine is starting to puff smoke when the engine is warm most likely a ring going also . just my 2 cents

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What kind of ring that I most likely ruined?Can you guys be more
specific?Sorry,I'm a newbie about internal engine parts.
Thx...:)

·
Registered
606 Posts
not knowing the exact situation i was just throwing out the suggestion of piston rings. it's very possible with engines with higher miles that are being run hard, that the rings will get burned up. that's just one possibility. i'm no expert here either but there's alot of things that could've gone wrong ie: grenaded a valve etc. just check for any possible boost leak and anything else you can confidently check by yourself, and if it's none of those, seek professional help...for the car, not you;)

·
Premium Member
2,986 Posts
I blew the hose off my driver side intercooler last weekend in my 94 R/T Turbo and it blew about a half gallon of water out of the passenger side exhaust (according to Wraith R/T AWD, David, who was right behind me :D) and it was running like shit and blowing out black/white smoke. Once I made an emergency roadside repair it was fine. I did the repair right when I got to Chris's (CDD VR-4) house with better tools. It scared the hell out of me when I saw my Y-ipe was on and and it was doing that. Talk about no power, it sounded like a street rod with cams the way it was studdering. Hopefully it's something as simple as a boost leak.:p

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'll go for a boost leak, look if all the tubes that connect the turbos are ok, I´ve 3 times similar problem that you and it was a Hose that was running out of his place . (mine was one that goes near the front passenger wheel-seems to go away when I go high speed and step repently hard on the gas, you will need to raise the car because you can only see it from down the car, hopes this helps, and hope this is your problem)

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys,
thanks a lot for the suggestion/opinions. For now,I think the
bigest possibility is a boost leak.My friend's Eclipse GST had
this same problem,and it was from intercooler pipe.

Looks like I have to raise the car tomorrow and see what
happen.

Again,I really appreciate the suggestions that you guys gave.
I love this board and community!!:) :cool: :cool:

·
Why does everyone argue?
1,302 Posts
Hi there, I just had another suggestion to add to the list... it is VERY possible you cooked one of your turbos. That could explain everything, the smoke is comming from the dead turbo leaking oil into your exhaust, and it would also have the appearance of a blown IC pipe because all of the boost pressure would be leaking back through the dead turbo, causing an EXTREMELY rich situation, (even MORE smoke, and NO power)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Check the electrical connector going into the Mass Airflow sensor. If it came loose, it forces the computer to go into "limp-home" mode. This saves your engine, but usually freaks the driver right out. The MAF unit houses the air cleaner and is on the pass side at the top in front of the strut tower. It has a plug about 2 inches long with several wires running into it. Make sure the plug Clicks in, or it'll come loose. This happened to me once when I nailed it--took me a week, fearing the worst, to find out it was just a loose plug.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts