Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was racing a mustang on my way home from the gym and smoked'em. I got to the next light and when I started to take off I thought I heard a siren.... I looked around and didn't see anything, then I realized it was my car making the sound. I drove it home and looked under the hood. When I rev the engine up to about 2gs it makes a siren sound. It seems to be coming from the rear turbo. If I place my hand on the IC Pipe coming up from the rear turbo while I rev the engine I can feel it vibrate in almost synchronicity with the siren noise. Did I blow a turbo? I'm freaken hot right now. I just spent almost $1100 on the SBC, Power Meter, and Stillen. Now I have to f_cKen buy fu_ken turbos. Someone please sympathize with me here, how can I be sure? Can I drive it to work if I don't boost?

·
Registered
456 Posts
If your knees are sore, and your lips are oily, you probably did.

sorry man, couldn't resist.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brian

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks and sounds like you speak from experience.(AAM15Gs), but nah.. no oily lips or sore knees here just a siren sound coming from my rear turbo.

·
Registered
456 Posts
AWWWWW, don't be so sensitive.
And you want sympathy because you might have blown a turbo?!
That's racing!!!

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
It's possible you blew the turbo.

Be sure to check the O-ring on the rear turbo output pipe. It's available at the dealer for like $2.

R

·
0 Posts
Brian A. Bochenek said:
AWWWWW, don't be so sensitive.
And you want sympathy because you might have blown a turbo?!
That's racing!!!
That's how I look at it. when I blow an engine, snap a rod, melt a piston....

I always drive all my cars like I stole em...And if they blow up, it was not thier fault!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chances are pretty good that I'm dealing with a blown turbo. No positive boost, white smoke coming out from the exhaust, and there's a little more than just blow-by around the rear IC pipe. I'm sure when I take off it off there will be an excess amount of oil in the IC chamber of the turbo.

I think my Vegas funds just dropped to a sum of about oh...NOTHING.:rolleyes: Anyone wana led me some 15Gs....

·
Registered
832 Posts
Are you sure its white smoke? I believe that white smoke is coolant? Oil smoke is blue.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll have to double check on the smoke. It's been really windy so as soon as the smoke leaves the tail pipes it's gone. I'll have to pay more attention to it.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
A blown turbo usually results in huge amounts of smoke, rendering the car undrivable. A slight amount of smoke isn't as likely to be a blown turbo.

I grenaded the exhaust wheel right off my Galant VR4 while going 120mph. It was not a pretty sight!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just started to pull the turbos tonight and there was a pool of oil in the intake side of the rear turbo. Those bolts are a BITCH to get off. I'm letting them sit overnight with liquid wrench and I'll try again tomorrow with a breaker bar.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Teck,
If possible, get a torch set, even a small one from Home Depot, something that uses oxygen and propane or mapp gas.
Heat the nuts til they glow(don't melt them) and they'll turn easily.
It's the best way I have found to get exhaust bolts and nuts loose.
I have used my torch setup quite a few times on the car.
Worth the $40 or so that you'll pay for it.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
teck if you race you gotta pay the price. think of it this way wouldn't it be more of a bitch if you raced the stang and you lost and blew your turbos.

By the way has anyone raced a 300zx twin turbo. whats the outcome.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good idea Brain, I was worried about using a breaker bar for fear I might bust the bolt. If those f_ckers are still on there, I'll buy one of those pocket torches. I got lucky this time, the price for racing was cheap($250):D. I bought two stock 9Bs with less than 1k miles for $500 and I'm selling my cores to Matt @ Dynamic for 300. The extra $50 for gaskets and shit <-- not literally!

Thanks for the help guys...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
300zx

needforspeed: I've raced a 300. I justed placed the outcome in the war stories.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts