Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 94 3000GT VR4 and I'm trying to determine which is pin 1. I've looked at the service manual and the diagram there has pin 1 listed as the upper left most pin. The diagram shows the top of the port to be "wider" than the bottom. When looking at my port it's "wider" at the bottom.

So the question is... Is my port upside down or am I misinterpreting the diagram. I need to pull the CEL code and don't want to short the wrong pins:)

P.S. I've looked at the stealth 316 site on this as well as a number of other sites and was surprised no one had a picture like mine with pin 1 labelled. I feel like I must be missing something.

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I have a 94 3000GT VR4 and I'm trying to determine which is pin 1. I've looked at the service manual and the diagram there has pin 1 listed as the upper left most pin. The diagram shows the top of the port to be "wider" than the bottom. When looking at my port it's "wider" at the bottom.

So the question is... Is my port upside down or am I misinterpreting the diagram. I need to pull the CEL code and don't want to short the wrong pins:)

P.S. I'm look at the stealth 316 site on this as well as a number of other sites and was surprised no one had a picture like mine with pin 1 labelled. I feel like I must be missing something.

Thanks,
Chris
I don't actually have a 94 i have a 93 but i think you are just being too paranoid here. the way it looks on your car is the way mine is but the manual is just like you say. I think they flipped it so that the numbers would be right side up so it is easier to read but other than that makes no sense why we would both have the same orientation and yet our manuals say otherwise? i would just simply make sure wherever the rounded edge is you use that as your guidance since they have to make all the connector ports the same in your generation (which is different from mine, so i can't be 100% sure, sorry).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Yea I'm definitely over analyzing it but the last thing I want to do is fry something and add to the list of things I have to fix:)

So I'll attach a picture with pin 1 marked based on this discussion and hopefully someone will yell if it's wrong or I'll follow up once I take the plunge.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Yea I'm definitely over analyzing it but the last thing I want to do is fry something and add to the list of things I have to fix:)

So I'll attach a picture with pin 1 marked based on this discussion and hopefully someone will yell if it's wrong or I'll follow up once I take the plunge.
No problem. I apologize I do not have a confirming picture for you from my car. I meant to take one last night when installing an aftermarket alarm, but I needed to do more research on what wires to tap into with the "brain" for the alarm.

If you really are that concerned I would just use a grounding pin and see if you can test the voltage at the 12V pin. These will be fused somewhere down by the kick panel (for your ease of mind) but even if you read the voltage backward most multimeters will read you the negative voltage. do not measure the current this way though because that will certainly blow something. Current is very polarity specific as to voltage you can measure backwards and not be as concerned about blowing something. Also, use the tab on the connector as your frame of reference. Those tabs are literally in the same place among all OBDs and OBD2s. If you just want to take a stab at it, you can ground the multimeter and find the diagnosis port and see if that reads you anything. If you happen to get nothing no matter what, then you know the image is backward.

I could be wrong here but from what I recall what I said holds true.

·
Wheee! 2 wheels is fun!
8,814 Posts
Once upon a time I was looking for the same thing and NOBODY had anything posted on what the pins were numbered.

You have it marked right on your pic.

-SP

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I can confirm that grounding the pin I marked as 1 does produce the desired effect of flashing the check engine light with the trouble code.

Thanks to everyone for the hand!

-Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts