Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new to the forum and so glad it is here! I'd love to find 2gen calipers front and rear to update my 1992 RT. I've called around to parts stores and I'm being told I'm hunting a unicorn - I have a set of Kojin wheels I'm dying to see on, but can't get them past the 1gen calipers. Any advice, links or offers would be great!!

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,008 Posts
I am not 100% on this, but if you can't get your new wheels past 1g calipers, you probably not even get close with 2g ones.
2g's (at least the front are much bigger....

Bob.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Bob, thanks for the info - I was worried this may be the case. I read a 3si forum post on the exact same wheels fitting a 2gen - super close - but fit.. it then later in the thread said "will not fit 1gen" - - should have read further down before buying the wheels and assuming I could just easily find them. I'm hoping this could work - if not, I'll be posting enki kojin 18's for sale :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The guys at Firestone said they would need like a 1" spacer to make them fit the calipers.. which would have them sticking out a bit and making lock to lock turns a sure rub. On the thread linked above it didn't mention any spacers - and the clearance was said to be minimal but okay...maybe I'm reading it wrong? I've got TEIN STech springs and new 1gen rotors and pads going on in a few - may just be happy staying stock if these kojin wheels just ain't meant for 1gen cars :(

·
Registered
449 Posts

I've seen a few sets on the FB groups, that guy is constantly parting cars and have good prices.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool! Huge thanks - I re-opened my old facebook account and sent him a message - be great to grab a set if he still has some.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,008 Posts
His name is Aaron, lives in Xenia (OH), not too far from me.
Great guy and has helped me numerous times.

Do not hesitate to deal with him...

Bob. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
All great stuff, thanks so much... I have about another day or so before I can just flat out return the kojin wheels for a refund - but it sounds like chances are pretty good if I keep checking "part out listings" - so I may just keep the wheels and take my time getting a set of calipers - so, I'm happy this may actually work (?) - just need to be patient now that the wheel deadline isn't pressing. I've reached out to Aaron and I'm excited to do business with this community!

·
Registered
88 Posts
What makes them not fit? No idea how they would fit a 2g and not a 1g. Maybe they used a spacer or a different offset on the 2g? or 18x9.5 vs 18x8.5 or 18x8 making the difference?
It is due to how close the 1g brakes sit to the center of the hub. Most wheels have the spoke thicker towards the center of the wheel to they hit there where further out 2gs wouldn't. If you search around you'll see a lot of people talking about it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have a set of Front 2G VR-4 calipers. $260 shipped.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, fronts on the way (!!) - just need rears - anyone got a lead on a set of gen2 rear calipers? I've seen mention on a website or two, but when I call to check they're out of stock or FWD fit. Also - anyone out there know a place I could bring/send/ship calipers to the get them rebuilt nice and clean so they look new on install?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a set of Front 2G VR-4 calipers. $260 shipped.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Recieved - thanks for the great care in packaging as well! Huge thanks -

Still looking for the rear set now - please reply to this thread if you have a rear set - Thanks!

-Eric

1 - 15 of 15 Posts