Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Treblick's Nightmare
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are some pictures of todays progress. The motor goes back in tonght and I will order the remaining parts I need on Monday to get her back in the road next weekend. Damn gaskets. I may have the parts I need in my storage room. If I can find them tonight then she starts tomorrow.... hopefully!

Here is what it looked like when I started a few weeks ago:

Here is a shot of the engine bay now:

One of the motor removed and sitting on a pallet. The rear turbo is packed up and ready to ship back to Pat ;)

Here is one of the interior. It is a pain to remove and install new woring harnesses. I will never do it again.

One more of the engine bay:

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Please tell me you're going to repaint it... It's a shame to pull a motor out of a car build it up and stick it back in and it looks half assed cause the engine bay will nevver come clean.... (I know this first hand)... Next time my motor comes out the whole cars getting a custom color... Engine bay, interior, the whole 9...

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Were the fuel lines that run from from the filter to the rail and the return line from the regulator to the metal return line on the firewall intact or were the fried. They would have been just under the throttle body.

Jeff

·
Treblick's Nightmare
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They were intact. There was melted plastic all over them from the Y-pipe and other crap that melted but the fuel lines were fine. There is a slit in one of them but it must have been from me removing the motor because Patrick (Phalse) said he pulled the lines from the rails to see if there was still fuel pressure and there was. Still havent figured out what could have caused the fire.

I don't have the money right now to get the car towed somewhere and have the engine bay painted. It really doesn't even need to be painted, just powerwashed. It's just soot and it comes off when you wipe it off.

·
Premium Member
2,986 Posts
tokaygecko said:
They were intact. There was melted plastic all over them from the Y-pipe and other crap that melted but the fuel lines were fine. There is a slit in one of them but it must have been from me removing the motor because Patrick (Phalse) said he pulled the lines from the rails to see if there was still fuel pressure and there was. Still havent figured out what could have caused the fire.

I don't have the money right now to get the car towed somewhere and have the engine bay painted. It really doesn't even need to be painted, just powerwashed. It's just soot and it comes off when you wipe it off.
You can repaint the engine bay VERY easily and cheaply. I repainted the engine bay in my metallic green VR-4 (same color as your new TT) and it cost me less than $40. took out the headlamps and took everything off the frame. I then sanded the current paint off by hand, then used painter's tape and cloth coverings to mask off areas i didn't want to get overspray. Then I used a couple cans of flat-brown Rustolium primer and primed the whole engine bay. After letting this dry for 3 days I then used 2 cans of Plasti-Kote 8146FM exact-match touch-up paint and repainted the engine bay. Here's some pictures:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,986 Posts
At the tie of the first picture I just decided to clear the rust spots under the headlights. Then I said screw it and started ripping everything off, taping everything up (like the VIN plate), and doing the entire engine bay. After seeing what one spot looked ilke compared to everything around it I couldn't help myself. Here is what the rest of the headlamp well looked like when I sanded, primed, and painted it:

Attachments

·
Treblick's Nightmare
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only place where the paint burned off was just above all the solenoids (boost, FPR, EGR).

TooFast4Radar: If I have time, I may just touch up the engine bay like that.

·
Premium Member
2,986 Posts
Here is a shot of the area in front of the radiator. This looked a little worse than what yours looks like. That flat green starts to look bad over time. On a side note, this paint does NOT scratch off easily. Once it dries and hardens after a few days it seems pretty durable. I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. Here's the last picture I'll show you. I'll post final pictures when I get the VR-4 running again (hoping on early january).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,986 Posts
tokaygecko said:
The only place where the paint burned off was just above all the solenoids (boost, FPR, EGR).

TooFast4Radar: If I have time, I may just touch up the engine bay like that.
In my opinion, if you are going to keep the car it is worth the time now. The one very NICE looking spot will stand out. That is of course if you really care what the engine bay looks like. It won't change functionality any. I'd say take a little extra time and do it, I think you'll be thankful for it in the long run. You can take the wipers off and that metal piece that screws down right underneath the windshield and paint all of that. I did. I think when you see the results it'll give you the extra ambition. I could NOT get whatever was on my car off. Here is what the engine bay looked like after the car sat for 2 years with a destroyed shortblock. It will look nothing like then when it's back together again!

Attachments

·
curt93T/T
5,079 Posts
So was it caused by the battery? I don't know the whole story. I'm no body expert, but is it worth rebuilding? I mean will you be able to blast the rust away and have plenty of metal?

·
Treblick's Nightmare
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh yeah, its definately worth rebuilding. The rust is from when Patrick threw water ont he fire to out it out. The fire ate away the primer and there is just a little surface rust. It really looks a lot worse than it really is.

I'll get a few more pictures and show you.

·
Treblick's Nightmare
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Here is a pic of the only place where the paint is damaged:

Here is a pic of what a damp paper towel can do to remove all the black soot under the hood:

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
Are you reading what he's saying? Why the hell would he paint it when it doesn't need to be painted? Do you guys all have time and money pouring out of your asses? :confused: :rolleyes:

·
Ninja Performance
42,336 Posts
:(

·
Treblick's Nightmare
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am going to sand and repaint up by the windshield, but the rest is fine. It may look slightly different than the rest, but I'm not that worried about it. This car is going to stay stock and a daily driver. I've already got my hands full with modding the 91 TT. I can't afford to mod both of them:(

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Don't leave it stock stock!

Give it the basics so your daily driver will be a 13.0 car. It's still 100% reliable at that point.

I still consider my car 100% reliable. I'm not tuned at the ragged edge or anything.

·
Treblick's Nightmare
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I may mess with it later, but for now I am BROKE! I am about to drop another $5,000 for more parts for the 91 TT. Sometime in January I am also going to have to drop another $5,000-6,000 for the AAM turbo kit, GZP FMIC, and RPS dual C/C clutch.

Eventually when I have a little money in the bank (long after the 91 is prowling the streets) I'd like to try a 13G/15G combo in the 94. But that will be quite some time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts