Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Her skin seems a little blown out in some areas and otherwise I cannot see anything very interesting about the shot, nothing about it really grabs my attention. I think a greater DOF would've helped as well.

·
I call it like I see it..
13,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Her skin seems a little blown out in some areas and otherwise I cannot see anything very interesting about the shot, nothing about it really grabs my attention. I think a greater DOF would've helped as well.
This confuses me, only because:

1) where are you seeing that her skin is "blown" I wouldn't even say there are any truly "hot" spots. Maybe whiter than other areas that have shadow, but by no means washed or blown. Ciara is damn near clear in person. She is ghost white and actually had to apply more base because the first shots I had of her were beaming. Lighting on skin is dynamic not uniform.

2) Points of interest are relative. I look at the pic and I wonder what she is thinking. You are supposed to focus on her, on her expression, not be shocked or think this is anything new, inventive, or "sick". It literally is what it is. Boring, YEP. But 110% candid.

3) I agree about the DOF to a point. The idea here was to actually see the background as well as the subject. It's a chick alone on an empty beach. It's supposed to feel barren, desolate, and lonely.

Do me a big favor D. Let me send you the raw file and you change it to what you see in your head as appropriate. Since you are the only one to actually even attempt to give me any critical feedback that is actually usable, beyond "wow classic style," I want to see what you have cooking in your head.

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
This confuses me, only because:

1) where are you seeing that her skin is "blown" I wouldn't even say there are any truly "hot" spots. Maybe whiter than other areas that have shadow, but by no means washed or blown. Ciara is damn near clear in person. She is ghost white and actually had to apply more base because the first shots I had of her were beaming. Lighting on skin is dynamic not uniform.
It honestly could be due to my monitor. I am looking at this/posting from my uncalibrated laptop, my desktop at least has some calibration done to it.

2) Points of interest are relative. I look at the pic and I wonder what she is thinking. You are supposed to focus on her, on her expression, not be shocked or think this is anything new, inventive, or "sick". It literally is what it is. Boring, YEP. But 110% candid.
Indeed, we all get what we want out of a picture anda ll interpret things differently, art is subjective in this manner.

3) I agree about the DOF to a point. The idea here was to actually see the background as well as the subject. It's a chick alone on an empty beach. It's supposed to feel barren, desolate, and lonely.
I hear you with that, perhaps I'm just looking for a slightly greater DOF.

Do me a big favor D. Let me send you the raw file and you change it to what you see in your head as appropriate. Since you are the only one to actually even attempt to give me any critical feedback that is actually usable, beyond "wow classic style," I want to see what you have cooking in your head.
I'm not on AIM much but you can email it to me. devonlawler [at] gmail dot com. I'm not too sure when I'll get to it depends on when I have my desktop up and running again; probably this weekend.

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
I think the mode distracting thing to me about it is the uneven fade-to-black edge on the left. Looks like either serious vignetting or something about got in the way of the lens (strap maybe?) or something. But tt's not an even fade like vignetting. It just draws away from the overall imact for me.

Do you have more pics from the shoot to share? :)

EricB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts