Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, you guys may think this is a stupid question, but what controls the color of the lights on our guages? I thought the actual notches in the paper were colored, but i had a friend tell me that he had a colored light bulb in his car. Juat a thought. I would like to change my illumination to blue, but any white faced guage kits are 160 bucks, and to a 19 year old kid, thats a lot!! Just a thought, and i had a hunch that one of you guys out there would know the answer.

Thanks again!

Brian
91 Stealth ES

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Hello Mr Stealth, I think your buddy is right. I think it is an orange bulb that makes everything orange. Yanking your dash apart and puting in blue bulbs may be your only option.

·
Large Member
6,164 Posts
It is the light bulb... there are companies that make all sorts of colors for all kinds of cars.. the only problem is that it is a real pain in the butt to get the dash off.. I've never done, but I hear its a hassle.. esp. if you have never done it before... plan a good solid weekend to do it if you do..

Just my two cents..

-LDG
93 Stealth ES

·
Banned
9,895 Posts
If you are just looking to do the cluster of gauges for the speedo and tach then it will only take you about 20 minutes tops to get it out. I really didn't look to see how hard it would have been to change the bulbs for it, but it's worth a try. The 3 gauges for temp, voltage, and oil, forget about it. I tried to do it but it would have taken me all weekend to do. Not worth it in my book. I would just stick with changing the speedo and tach bulbs.

Hans

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, thanks! I will definitely try to change the lights on the tach and speedo. Why is it so hard to change the lights on the temp/pressure/voltage gauges?? I thought the dash came off as one piece.

Brian
91 Stealth ES

·
Banned
9,895 Posts
I hope you have a service manual. You have to remove the glove box, the lower part of the dash under the steering wheel, the middle air vents, and the tweeters in the dash. There may be more, but that is what i can remember off the top of my head. There is a lot of bolts to lose too.

Hans

D

·
0 Posts
On a similar note, I was going to change the lights on the steering wheel stereo remote but when I opened it up, it was all soldiered LEDs that would of been a pain to remove and re-soldier.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, i should have stuck with my original thought, it was CLEAR lights behind the guages, which had orange inside the paper gauges. I didn't even try to change the color after seeing that, it wouldn't look right. Oh well, i guess i know now, but i still wish i could have changed the color.

Brian
91 STealth ES

D

·
0 Posts
Maybe you could change some of the other lights? The cigarette lighter? The Ash tray? The stereo (not there steering wheel remote)? Air conditioning controls?

M

·
0 Posts
the "amber-orange" glow is used because it had less glare than other colors....so your eye will see better in the dark....

M

·
0 Posts
I hate the amber orange glow. It is ugly, and it contrasts horribly with my after market CD player. Oh well, at least now I know they did it that color for a reason. Thanks Multicast.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts