Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
SDSU Alumnus
4,436 Posts
Yes, but it is all personal preference. Minimum that I usually do are the full sides and rings for spark plug tubes, otherwise, I just do a light amount for the entire circumference. Whatever you do, follow the instructions and do not just torque it down immediately so that everything oozes out. It should partially cure before final torque sequence.

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

·
SDSU Alumnus
4,436 Posts
...on the gasket only i.e. provides extra seal between gasket and head. Not necessary but always works. (unless you have a crankcase pressure/blow-by issue, but that is something else for another time)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figured it out. You're saying everywhere theres a gasket give it a light schmeer of gasket maker. Let it dry for 10 min before placing it on head. Tighten down in sequence then torque to 2.2lbs in sequence

·
SDSU Alumnus
4,436 Posts
Pretty much except it can already be positioned back on the head with bolts fastened by hand before waiting on slight cure + final torque. No different from doing it on oil returns or pan.

·
Registered
1992 3000GT VR4
1,192 Posts
Me personally ( just preference )
But I use the (white) fast drying hard sealant instead of silicone
Just on the end caps
Use a very small amount 1/8th inch diameter (eye balled) bead and go completely over the end caps to the 90 degree corners and stop
Let stand for a minute or 2 then install valve cover

·
One fix at a time
8,248 Posts
I just do it in the corners like you pictured and it shows in the service manual. I don't have 150-200k mile results, which I doubt they'd even stay pliable and rubbery that long anyways, but I've never had any issues. It's personal preference like Alan mentioned.

·
Banned
97 Posts
Yes As Chang oil has said, use hi-temp silicon on the edges of the camshaft end caps as illustrated in the manual, I have never used anything on the valve cover and spark plug gasket and never ever had an oil leak. Just a good high performance valve cover gasket set will do.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Good advice yall, i completed the service and did a light schmeer on all gasket surfaces. I feel good about it. AND if it leaks out back, im gonna let it leak. This was the hardest, most frustrating service ive ever completed in my recent years. (Although im about to tear INTO my M3 tranny this afternoon.)

·
SDSU Alumnus
4,436 Posts
Well ive got news for you.
I did. I smeared it all over the gasket.
Im not too worried about it.
Hahahaha kudos and my exact reaction:

·
SDSU Alumnus
4,436 Posts
It is fine... he made an informed decision i.e. picked his poison. Every one of these cars and engines that I have worked on/built/tuned gets the same treatment albeit liberal amount of permatex black for the entire perimeter.

Real-life example and not some out-of-thin-air speculation... '99 VR-4 finally needed front VC resealed after four (4) years and around 30k+ miles at mid-400whp. That is four summers in the hotter part of SoCal and driving hard, as intended.

Typical maintenance. YMMV. Not going to list every well running example with UOA's to boot.

//edit// people should be cleaning out their baffles anyway instead of focusing on a seal lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts