Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am the new owner of a 91 Dodge Stealth RT TT with 149k that I acquired for free as a project car (my first one). I got the car after it had been sitting for about 8 years, the car ran when parked so I had to take it. So far I have done some basic maintenance to the car to get it running (drained old gas, new oil, sparkplugs, coil pack, battery, new air filter cleaned MAF) after all this and some starter fluid it would start but stutter hard under Revs and after looking into i found it was a bad MAF sensor. With it unplugged the car revved fine! I was happy to see it be this simple problem so I test drove it down the street and it ran fine for a car that sat for 8 years (given the maintenance done) after this I parked it. The next day I start it to show my friend my "running free car" to it not firing coil 1-4 and a check engine code. From what I've read so far it could be a ECU or PTU issue saying I already have new coil packs and sparkplugs. I was also told from the previous owner that the car will need a timing belt job (Doing soon), could that have anything to do with it either? All and any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm very happy about this project and to have such a large fourm for help. Hoping that its something easy 馃榿

Registered
You are correct that it can be ECU or PTU (or coils). PTU is pretty easy to pull and bench test, there should be some instructions on stealth316 website for doing that. If i recall correctly you just need a multi meter. So, check that first.

Also, i would highly recommend you not even start the car again until you at least inspect the timing belt if it has been sitting for that long. There are numerous examples of people who start these cars after sitting for a long time only to have the timing belt break, resulting in piston-valve contact.

Registered
Yeah, it is most likely the ECU or PTU. Your car being a first gen I would pull the ECU to check the capacitors for any leakage regardless if it is the problem. The stock caps on the 1st gen ECU all leak after enough time. If you can find another person with a 91 - 93 VR4 or TT that would be willing to let you swap your ECU in to their car to check it, that would be your best solution. I wouldn't recommend putting their good ECU in to your car just in case your car's electrical system is what fried the ECU in the first place.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts