Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Big C
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i am really disappointed that i can't find someone that's got a y-pipe to sell to me :( . But i will feel better if someone could let me know if it is possible to make a "homemade" gasket, preferrably of silicone(so it isn't as terribly cheap as the POS gasket that comes stock). I am asking this 'cause i was disappointed that Mitsubishi doesn't sell just the gasket, and well for $110 for the pipe(discounted price) i'd be better off just saving a few more pennies and getting the DN Performance y-pipe... but i have so many other things that i need to straighten out b4 i could spend so much on a y-pipe. So someone help... please :confused: . 'Cause i can't even go at WOT any more 'cause the pipe will blow... again and i'm only at stock(9psi) boost now, so it's pretty pathetic.

·
Professional Speeder
388 Posts
Duct tape the cheap alturnative.....
I had to use that cause my gasket went bad and didnt feal like paying $100+ whatever dollars for the whole plastic y-pipe at mishu.
didnt know they had aftermarkets then.

I riged up a duct tape hose clamp screw method, talk about redneck, but it held for the time being.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Get a 3" to 2" rubber adapter made for pipe from a plumbing store. Cost is about $5.00 and it comes with the clamps. The 2" end ataches to the throttle body and the 3" end attaches over the y pipe. I run 16.5psi daily with this rubber adapter and it has no problem holding 18.5psi.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Also try advertising in parts wanted section, and check the parts for sale section. I bought a used y pipe from someone who upgraded for $30 about a year ago

·
Registered
431 Posts
C'mon you guys, this is one of the most famous mods yet! Jack T. was the first to discover it -- the bungee cord mod.

Take a bungee cord and pass on end under the plenum, come back over the top of the plenum and hook it around your y-pipe. If you have the correct length, the cord will keep pulling the pipe back in toward the throttle body. Jack ran an 11.08 with this mod! I was there and saw it.

-Bob

·
I need more cars
2,360 Posts
Sounds like its time for the great tennis ball mod. Just put a tennis ball between the side of your y-pipe and the battery.

Ugly, but it'll keep you running until you can get a DN pipe. Just for kicks you can buy a new hose clamp and tighten it as much as possible also.

·
.5 Man .5 Dinosaur !!!!!!
1,340 Posts
Slicone

I blew my "Y" pipe off at the track not too long ago, what i did was i took the old gasket and used some silicone sealant, let dry like for one day, after that i took some super glue and sealed the whole upper part of the gasket. I also bought 2 new clamps that way it tightened in two different positions, and vuala. I'm currently at 14.5 and it holds great.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I threw one of these in my VR4 and it worked perfectly!

Smaller gasket and clamp 20190628_154450.jpg

Seems to be indestructible. Certainly reusable many times over.
This one has a good T-Bar clamp for under $30 but a gasket alone is available for under $25.
I’ve not had to mess with it at all or had a single blow off in over a year of running this gasket.

Read up! Help is here, search eBay under…
Y Pipe Rubber Gasket and Clamp for Throttle Body Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 Stealth

Someone else who bought one and posted here on 3si.
https://www.3si.org/threads/y-pipe-gasket-solution.816175/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts