Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Robotics Engineer
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
While I appreciated your moxy for design.
I do not appreciate your "COVID" sale slant...

Bob.

Bob, thank you for your response. It helped people. I, myself, was affected by COVID.
Lots of interest for these boxes when I showcased a couple of examples on Facebook prior to the pandemic.
COVID made people reconsider buying a pricey item dedicated to "pleasure". Reduced the cost to still get these
out to 3S enthusiasts while taking little profit. Take care and stay healthy. - Bobby, Project3SI

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
15,029 Posts
I like what you are doing. Damn nice design.
This whole COVID thing is just getting on my nerves.
I retire in 2017, then immediately have shoulder surgery.
Recover mid 17, then in early April 2019 rupture my achilles (from taking Levaquin).
Spend all of 2019 trying to recover and then early 2020 this COVID shit happens.
My wife thinks she had it last January (before they even named it). She's never had a temp over 103 in her life, she did then.
Being a recluse is proving to be less then I had hoped for, for retirement.

Sorry if I came off badly....

Bob.

Reactions: PROJECT3SI

·
Robotics Engineer
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I like what you are doing. Damn nice design.
This whole COVID thing is just getting on my nerves.
I retire in 2017, then immediately have shoulder surgery.
Recover mid 17, then in early April 2019 rupture my achilles (from taking Levaquin).
Spend all of 2019 trying to recover and then early 2020 this COVID shit happens.
My wife thinks she had it last January (before they even named it). She's never had a temp over 103 in her life, she did then.
Being a recluse is proving to be less then I had hoped for, for retirement.

Sorry if I came off badly....

Bob.
God bless you man. Honestly, we are all being robbed of our futures. I am beyond tired of it as well.
The two age groups I have the most sympathy for is retirees and students. Both are being cheated
out of their life right now. No one is stressing the mental and psychological impact this is having on people.
Life needs to go on, telling some people to pause while others thrive is unethical and poor leadership.
Is Covid-19 real? Yeah of course. Are elitist politicians using it for politics? Absolutely. Just plain disgusting.

Thank you for the comments! It was the first thing I designed for the 3S when I got my first one in 2009.
Really completes the sound stage in the 3S which had generally good speaker placement from the factory.

No worries! VR4 Spyder owners get a free pass to say w.e. they want ;)
I noticed you sold a 92 Wheat Beige TT in your signature. Not sure if I had seen this on FB.
Hope to find one to compliment my RT. First 3S was a 92 in the same color. Still have it today.

·
15,029 Posts
I had to sell the 92.
The clutch was so heavy, it made me nervous to drive it (left achilles). It was heavy from day 1, never solved it.
The Spyder clutch is the exact opposite. I drive it, but my left foot still doesn't feel the same.

I totally agree with your take on this whole COVID thing.
Not sure I believe the vaccine stories yet either.

Good luck with your business!!

Bob.

Reactions: DRIFTIR

·
Robotics Engineer
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Update

Price back up to $450/box. Prices back to original now.
I have one individual that I'll honor the $315 price point if I can get someone else to buy before the week ends.

For those that have their setups completed, please post and share here for others to get ideas for their own audio builds.
Some details that'll help people are:
  • Amplifier(s) selection
  • Amplifier location
  • Subwoofers selection
  • Wiring layout
  • Any custom lighting or designs added
I for one have noticed that in my Stealth's setup the rear seat plastic latches seem to resonate at a certain frequency with the seats up versus folded down. My solution to this, was to cutout a small adhesive foam pad in the shape of the plastic. Once installed they can't be seen and eliminates the vibrations. What I love about this box is the decoupled nature of the box as it does not require mounting hardware. Decoupling helps save a lot of frustration against transmitting low frequencies to adjacent trim and body panels which will rattle. Usually when adding bass, you take apart the interior to add kilmat or dynamat everywhere. I have yet had the need to do this in any of my cars with this setup.

For my "affordable" build I went with a Hifonics A2000.1D for the amplifier running two Pioneer Champion series 4 Ohm woofers (TS-W1041C) in parallel. These are indeed a LARGE woofer and a bit closer to the competition/performance side of woofers when these were new. These go against the recommended 4.5" depth, so the box required slight modification. I only went with this setup, because I wanted to repurpose these old quality woofers. The cone aesthetics are desirable as well. Nowadays, you can get better performance in a smaller, lighter, and more sensitive envelope. As far as wiring, I chose to go with Rockford Fosgate wiring ( 4 AWG Power & Signal Installation Kit RFK4I ) . This is 100% pure crystal-oxygen free copper (PC-OFC) cable. It uses a much higher strand count that other cables making this ultra flexible for installation purposes. I go through the firewall grommet by the battery down the side of the passenger mud guard and up the rear quarter panel. For my installation I followed the factory wiring loom guide. Be patient as you don't want to damage your harness. This setup works well and is on the affordable side. Don't cheap out on cable, make sure you don't underestimate the current requirements. As far as ground, I used a factory location to avoid self-tapping into the frame; the lug for the belt buckle bracket in the center of the rear seats.

Thank you,

Project3SI (Bobby)

·
Robotics Engineer
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Just for the record since others pointed it out, one of the earlier pictures may show what appears to be two rings on the back side of the seat. This is not from the woofers, but some old-school oversized speaker grills I was trying out for the purposes of understanding how much play beyond the mounting bracket existed for decorative faces to be added (such as vinyl, LED rings, metal bars, etc.)

In the original pictures, I show one of the setups I had customized for my car. The woofers were recessed by less than half an inch. These speakers are designed for flush mount so the woofer (including the surround) does not extend beyond the total recessed space, between the box and woofer assembly itself). All boxes I sell are now recessed by .75" for the subwoofer mounting. Most subwoofers have an Xmax of approximately .4".

Thank you and Merry Christmas / New Year everyone.

·
Robotics Engineer
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Another pair of custom subwoofer boxes ready to ship :)

Ready for new orders. Can't wait to see everyone's audio builds with this box as part of that custom build.

·
Robotics Engineer
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
some customer provided pictures prior to audio going in... can't wait to see the final results.

·
Robotics Engineer
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
BUMP!

Those that purchased please share pictures of your setups ! :)

·
15,029 Posts
Yeah, has anyone actually received these?
Curious to see pics....

Bob.

·
Registered
1 Posts
~update~

1- FubarDraco, Nikolai- 1 fabricated box (waiting for payment)
2- Jae Harrison - 1 fabricated box -PAID (in-progress)
3- JZliftedorlowerd, Jordan - 1 fabricated box
4- rebirdvr4 - 1 pre-cut pieces kit
Can the box be reversed for the subs to be facing the rear upon order?
Thanks Joe

41 - 52 of 52 Posts