Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm doing a complete overhaul of my 3000gt, which includes reproducing and fabricating a bunch of carbon fiber interior trim pieces, as well as some other goodies.

I'm posting this to see if anyone would be interested in purchasing them when finalized.

I currently have made the molds for most of the pieces that I want, but I still have a few more in mind. I'm a full time student so I'm doing this mostly on the weekends, but if there was interest from others I would of course make more time.

Currently I have or am planning on making molds for:
  • Center Console Housing
  • Window Switches
  • Interior door handle trim
  • Dash vents
  • Carpet runner along "tranny" tunnel
  • True replacement for center console lid, not one that fits over
  • Ash tray/lid (this one may be tricky)
  • Defroster vents on doors
  • Storage space in front of shifter
  • Seat belt holder for both seats (near headrest)
  • Interior door pull if possible
Finally I also plan to make an above dash double din pod, first molded with fiberglass and putty, and then finalized in carbon fiber.
The radio relocation is going to be my favorite, I hate having to look so far down at my radio, and think it'd be much safer due to not looking as far, and usable above the pods in the dashboard!

If you have any interest in possibly purchasing this stuff when finished, please subscribe to the thread or leave a reply. I'll update this with the final products when they are finished.
Also, prices won't be ridiculous and whenever possible I'd use usps flat rate to save on shipping.

Thanks!
David

*I wasn't sure where else to post this, it seemed right to do it here because this is where people would look to buy things*

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Depends on pricing and functionality.
Are you talking about functionality for the radio relocation? Or everything that I'm making?

Radio relocation will allow you to put gauges and other components where the radio currently is. and will decrease time that you have your eyes off the road. The main reason that I'm making it is because I think it will update the look of the interior tremendously, but that's just me.

As far as pricing goes, I don't think anything will be above $50, aside from maybe the radio relocation, I'm not sure, I still have to make that whole thing.

I'm thinking $50 for both a carbon fiber center console, and the replacement lid. The stuff that comes in pairs like the door defroster vents, and seatbelt guides, and the window switch trim would be maybe $25-$30 a pair.

There's a company that I won't name, but they sell a carbon fiber trim kit for $400 which comes with 7 pieces, and a carbon fiber arm rest cover that gets stuck over the factory one with double sided tape for like $130. I know nothing about their quality, that's just a price comparison.

I plan to sell my stuff with such low prices (in comparison) because I'm not doing this to make money really. This is just a weekend project for me, I planned to make it all anyway. So I don't have to factor in the prices of R&D, mold making, etc...

ALSO, I feel that I should mention that my final plan for the radio relocation is to be able to cut a small portion of the dash where it will sit, and feed an extension harness through to the factory harness. I will need to figure out mounting though..

·
Registered
822 Posts
Not looking for interior pieces since the weight reduction/cost ratio doesn't make sense to me. But another maker of exterior pieces would be cool.

·
Registered
398 Posts
interested! always looking for small things to update my interior

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm so happy that other people are interested in my project! Especially the radio relocation!

Here's my update after the weekend:
I have created molds for everything aside from the ash tray, I'm trying to source replacement springs before I destroy mine to create a mold. This way I'll be able to ship it as a complete piece.

The center console will require disassembly of yours, but it should be quite simple, I didn't want to have to source a new hinge mechanism or require a core to be sent in. To alleviate any issues I'm going to send installation instructions with every part.

I have ordered the materials to actually create the pieces. I just went with plain weave to start with but later on I may see about getting other weave patterns.

I have got interest on and off the forum about creating exterior parts, but I'm hesitant to do so until this semester ends in a few months.

I'd say the finals products are about 2 weeks out. This will allow me to do a few runs to get the amount of carbon fiber, resin, and cure time situated. Also as I stated in my main post I'm a full time student (Aerospace Engineering and Astrophysics double major) and I have a full time job as a welder at a fabrication shop. So my schedule is pretty full.

As far as the radio relocation goes, I have no idea what the time frame for that is. I have the parts that I'm going to be chopping up, and all of the material that I'll need to mold the shape and create a working prototype, but I want to do one project at a time.

Expect an update with pictures hopefully this weekend, if not, beauty shots should be coming the weekend after!

Also, I'm trying to keep this operation off of the facebook groups for as long as possible. I know people there will demand pictures and request orders, so I'd like to finalize everything before I go over there.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
you guys realize this thread was 1.5+ years dead when it was necro'd and he hasn't even logged into the site in almost 6 months right?

·
Registered
71 Posts
you guys realize this thread was 1.5+ years dead when it was necro'd and he hasn't even logged into the site in almost 6 months right?
Lol nope I did not realize until you pointed it out...never looked at the date on the OP. Still getting used to looking at this new forum format, it feels so cluttered and spammy with all the ads blending into posts..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts