Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen posts about this topic, but that was like in the early 2000s, so I want a modern view.

I'm looking for ways to make this car a more balanced platform.

First, what should be done to make the weight distribution CLOSEST to a 50/50 without adding too much weight to the back. A 4g63 swap maybe? ???

second, what are the best way to reduce the overall weight?(i plan to keep aws)

·
Registered
304 Posts
The quickest and most cost effective ways to loose weight and improve balance are to ditch the stock seats, ditch the OEM exhaust and replace the 3 piece prop with a 1 or 2 piece. Then relocate the battery to the rear along with any additions - in my case a 2.5 gal water/meth tank and pump.

With these mods alone, I have mine down to 3650lb with full tanks (gas and methanol) and me in it. To put this into perspective that's 200lb less than a Murcialago and in my case, with ~200HP more.

My weight distribution is 58:42 and its balanced corner to corner. Its a fully dressed daily driver that's comfortable on long tours and a weapon at the track.

Given the nature and architecture of our platform its questionable that 50:50 is the optimal distribution. The engine overhangs the front axle similar but opposite to the 911. My EVO IX MR had the same weight distribution and nobody criticizes EVO's for poor handling.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The quickest and most cost effective ways to loose weight and improve balance are to ditch the stock seats, ditch the OEM exhaust and replace the 3 piece prop with a 1 or 2 piece. Then relocate the battery to the rear along with any additions - in my case a 2.5 gal water/meth tank and pump.

With these mods alone, I have mine down to 3650lb with full tanks (gas and methanol) and me in it. To put this into perspective that's 200lb less than a Murcialago and in my case, with ~200HP more.

My weight distribution is 58:42 and its balanced corner to corner. Its a fully dressed daily driver that's comfortable on long tours and a weapon at the track.

Given the nature and architecture of our platform its questionable that 50:50 is the optimal distribution. The engine overhangs the front axle similar but opposite to the 911. My EVO IX MR had the same weight distribution and nobody criticizes EVO's for poor handling.

Thanks for the explanation! Also I heard that the stock wheels are really heavy, so will upgrading to lighter ones be a good way to shave off extra weight?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Thanks for the explanation! Also I heard that the stock wheels are really heavy, so will upgrading to lighter ones be a good way to shave off extra weight?
Yes I forgot about the wheels, that can be an easy 30lb weigh save.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Getting a 50:50 distribution with this car will be tough. My car came in at 3653 the last time I weighed it, but like OldMadBrit the distribution was something like 56:44, with the delta front to back being around 445lbs. That is a lot of weight to move and/or reduce.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts