Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when my car is sitting at idle it sounds similiar to a cricket being under my hood. it sounds like its coming from the drive belt, but i dont know if its bearings or the actual belt. its like a quite high pitch noise that doesnt go away. has anyone had this problem or know what it is? thanks in advance

·
The Wizard Of Aaahhhhh's
1,596 Posts
If you have a manual tranny, it could be the throwout bearing. Mine sounds just like what you described, but when I press the clutch in, it goes away.

Chris

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks. i have an auto transmission and mine never goes away. YellowES is this hurting anything and is there something i can do to quiet it down? its really aggrivating me so im trying to get rid of the noise.

·
1,054 Posts
Mine makes the same noise , its my tensioner pulley , i sprayed a little lithium grease on the bearings and it goes away for a few days , need a new one some day

·
~Airborne all the way~
629 Posts
That sound is a bad pully bearing somewhere. Spray some lubercant while car is idleing on one pully at a time. Then one that stops squeaking when you douse it is the bad pully that needs to be replaced soon.
-Jess

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how soon does it need to be replaced, is it urgent? and how much are these pully bearings? thanks

·
Wizard of NOS
1,047 Posts
Mine started doing the same thing shortly after I the car painted.
Allot of people make the mistake of putting some kind of lube on it, IE... belt dressing or WD40. (These do not work!)

If you want the sound to go away for good go the the auto part store and get a can of Carb & Choke cleaner. (This is perfectly safe for oyur belts)

With your motor running spray a couple of blasts on the under side of your belts. The sound will come back for a week at times just keep repeating the process untill the sound is gone.

It wiil take a short time because it takes awhile to clean all the garbage off the belts. (THIS DOES WORK!)

And for future refrence if you have a squeek that your not sure if it is a belt or berring failure, try spraying water on it.
If the sound goes away for a short time it is a belt.
:D

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Hollywood, I hope this works for me too

·
Wizard of NOS
1,047 Posts
I made the mistake in thinking mine was the tensioner pully also. It cost me $100 to replace, and after it was in it still made that annoying sound.

I just dont like to see people pay for costly repairs that are a easy fix.
I hope it works for everyone else!
:D

·
1,054 Posts
Well mine is the tensioner , so i guess theres more squeekes under our hoods then just one type

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
thanks hollywood. I don't want to spend big money on stuff i can fix for a couple of dollars either. I hope your method works for the noise in my car.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Spray some silicone cloth waterproofer on it. If that don't work, aersol white lithium grease. It works and don't make it slip.

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
i have this noise with my car and today i decided to try and fix it. After looking at this thread i decided to try the carb and choke cleaner. It was about 2 bucks at my local auto part store. Went home, with the engine running i sprayed a good bit on all of my belts and shut the engine off. I came out 15 minute later and started it up and it sounded fine. Its been running good all day so far. :D

·
Wizard of NOS
1,047 Posts
FireStormTT said:
i have this noise with my car and today i decided to try and fix it. After looking at this thread i decided to try the carb and choke cleaner. It was about 2 bucks at my local auto part store. Went home, with the engine running i sprayed a good bit on all of my belts and shut the engine off. I came out 15 minute later and started it up and it sounded fine. Its been running good all day so far. :D
Just remember it will come back once or twice over the next week. Just continue to repeate the process untill the belts are fully free from debris. :D

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
yeah, thanks hollywood...if anybody else has this noise i suggest you use the carb and choke cleaner. I was sick and tired of everybody looking at me like my car is a pos cuz it made a gay noise.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts