Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm currently looking at a few 3000GT VR4's with around 50-75K miles on them. From what I've gathered from reading this board is that the Getrag transmissions on these cars will fail, the question is when. The cars I'm looking at do come with a very short warranty, but after the warranty, I need to factor in the cost of rebuilding or replacing a Getrag tranny on lets say a 93' or 94' 3000GT VR4. Labor costs and all. Any input is very much appreciated. Thanks

S

·
0 Posts
I think that a good estimate would be $5000 dollars for the new tranny, $2000 for a new transfer case, and $850 for a new clutch. But I know that Mitsu sometimes gives discounts on the trannies. I have a friend that works at the Mitsu dealership and he says they usually give $1000 dollars off on a new tranny. But anyway that you look at it is expensive.

todd

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Well i can say that i have 81,000+ miles and have not any problems with my '93 (built in Oct '92) tranni. At least you'll have time to start a savings acct. for the future.

B

·
0 Posts
You can get rebuilt units from several vendors. Try "www.kormextrans.com" for a start. They rebuild the Getrags. Other sources (more expensive) would be Southern Gear in Smyrna, Georgia, or M.D. Auto in Ca.

MD Auto (619) 390-0450
Kormex (800) 429-5464,

Finally, a guy with the e-mail address "[email protected]" has parts, but which I don't know.

Good Luck,

Bill Wagner

[This message has been edited by Bill Wagner (edited January 11, 2000).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts