Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one ever tried cooling down incoolers any other way than Nitro spraying?

I mean: the intercooler is just an Air to Air radiator right? We use cooling fans to cool our radiators right? Anyone ever try fan cooling the intercoolers? Maybe a fan in front, behind or both in a push/pull config? Just a thought.......I know air is being forced thru it as we travel forward, but so is air over the radiator and it still utilizes a fan for cooling....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Never tried it but I don't see why it wouldn't work. You'd be talking a very minor difference in BTU Rejection and would probably only keep your knock down in 1'st gear when you aren't moving. I doubt it would allow you to run more boost w/o knock. (and you'd really only want to try with a datalogger hooked up)

Now upgrade you intercoolers and that's a different story. You'd be better off with the bigger intercoolers for more surface area and beter rejection potential. If you want, putting fans on those would probably help more then putting fan's on your stockers.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Cut out the plastic fenderwell vents behind the ICs and rivet in some stainless steel mesh. That alone will greatly improve the airflow across the ICs.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John M said:
Cut out the plastic fenderwell vents behind the ICs and rivet in some stainless steel mesh. That alone will greatly improve the airflow across the ICs.
Now there's a great idea. Factory has GREAT inlet to the IC's but then what? Air is kinda trapped. Thanks for the input!!

·
Banned
3,562 Posts
Does this really work??? This seems like an easy mod, I have never heard of it. Have you noticed your car running any faster because of it???

Todd

·
W3Si member #010
1,765 Posts
I believe the stock vents are good enough. Try mounting a washer bottle and nozzles and stuff like you do for your windows. Just fill with cold water before racing and spray in front of the ic's.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Actually a "cool" trick is to run your windshield washer lines down in front of the intercoolers, get better nozzles that spray a finer mist and fill the bottle with alcohol. Alcohol gets real cold. Then spray when you need it!

·
W3Si member #010
1,765 Posts
Nice.....I was thinking dry ice might work too.

·
Registered
96 Posts
That would be awesome! Ya got this little bucket of dry ice sitting in front of the ICs. LOL I'm crazy! No wait ....ah never mind.:D

·
W3Si member #010
1,765 Posts
I meant in with the water or to keep the water cool, but a bucket is nice....lol

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
I asked this same question on another IC thread but i will try here too. has anyone tried an air/water IC? would it be practical for daily driving (in traffic when the water heats up it would take a lot to cool it back down, it would have to sit longer after a hard run to cool down). also wouldn't any compressed gas, not just nitrous which is expensive, become a lot colder and have the same effect when it is sprayed and therefore expands? it must depend on the density of the molecules or something but there is probably something a lot cheaper that would work a lot better than nitrous i think.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My94r/t said:
I believe the stock vents are good enough. Try mounting a washer bottle and nozzles and stuff like you do for your windows. Just fill with cold water before racing and spray in front of the ic's.
Actually I think there is a much greater intake abaility than exhuast. Huge front hole and not much for rear venting...

How much air can actually move thru the intercooler (pass the fins)?

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Again, my "cut the fenderwell out" is a tried and true DSM mod. I've done it on all the cars I've owned before, and I'm doing mine as soon as I pick up the mesh. There's no way those stock vents can flow anywhere near as much air as gets directed through the intake holes. The poor flow creates pressure behind the IC and thus less flow across the fins. Open it up and the efficiency will improve.

·
The Wizard Of Aaahhhhh's
1,596 Posts
RedGTVR4: We think alike! :) I asked this same question here back in June. http://www.3si.org/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32166

I'm going to do the vent mod soon too. Another thing I did is I relocated the oil cooler to the front of the car. In thoery, this allows air to pass through the drivers side intercooler easier. I also believe that the stock location for the oil cooler allows it to heat soak the intercooler at idle. Heat moves from a warm place to a cool place, so if the oil cooler is hotter than the intercooler, then it could very well be transferring unwanted heat to the intercooler. Another thought is since it is up front, cooler oil = cooler cylinder temperatures which = less knock.
Plus when/if I upgrade intercoolers, at least the oil cooler will be out of the way. ;)

Chris

·
W3Si member #010
1,765 Posts
What do you actually gain with this? I am curious because I know alot of people who race DSMs and even 3S'. And I don't see too many who mention it or have it done.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
KD4PWH
what was involved in relocation oil cooler? What parts or is there a kit?

·
The Wizard Of Aaahhhhh's
1,596 Posts
redgtvr4 said:
KD4PWH
what was involved in relocation oil cooler? What parts or is there a kit?
I didn't use a kit...I don't even know if there is one. First, I had to remove the bumper. I used the stock cooler lines, but I did have to make some changes in the bends on one of the metal lines. I used the original mounting bracket and I had to make another bracket. I will try to get some pics of it later and post them.

Chris

1 - 20 of 24 Posts