Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Coolant

163 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Darktrail 
#1 ·
My resovoire tank is filled with coolant yet when I take sharp turns or brake hard the light comes on. The coolant is all the way max too so I don't know what the problem is.

Also How hard is it to change the thermostat? And if I change my thermostat will the coolant leak out?

-Jeff

#2 ·
you're checking the coolant reservoir level while the car is running at operating temperature.....

RIGHT?

:p

Elton

#3 ·
My car was running and the temp gauge was in the middle so I assume thats normal operating but I am gonna try it again tomorrow and make sure its the coolant light and see why the hell its coming on....sorry Im angry :(

-Jeff

#4 ·
I sooo need to get you drunk. :p

hey, be glad you don't have my car problems. :D

I mean, would you wanna clean out your bank account for a AWD tranny and Driveshaft?

:p

and at least you have a gf. all the chicks I've dated around here are psycho. :(

E

#5 ·
I believe that idiot light is also linked to the Window washer resivoir, I would top that off too (remmeber the one in the back as well) and see if that helps...

#6 ·
Who said my gf wasnt pyscho? j/k

No, I wouldnt want your car problems...though I do wish I had your engine :)

I just want my car to be like new again......I think i have some disease....like you know how Belimic people always think they are too fat? Well I always think my car is to dirty so I wash it to much and every tiny little noise I start thinking something is really wrong with it and I want it fixed :)

-Jeff

#7 ·
Darktrail

Sounds like your coolant is just sloshing in the resorvoir. When you turn or brake hard, the coolant moves to one part of the tank and leaves the sensor dry for a split second so it thinks you're low on coolant. You might add about 2 cups of coolant to the resorvoir and see if it stops then.
Do you really need to change your thermostat? Is your heater working? Is you gauge reading normal?
It's not difficult to change at all and yes, you will lose some coolant, but not much.
JagdStealth,
The window washer and coolant resorvoir are 2 seperate circuits. When the sensor senses no fluid, it completes a ground to turn the idiot light on.

#8 ·
Maybe its just me not paying much attention in the past. But now it seems the fan comes on much more than it used to. Like as soon as I turn the car on within a minutes the fan comes on. I just now noticed this so I think it must not have done this in the past. So someone suggested that maybe my thersmostat was just sticking so i figured for 12 bucks I would just replace it. I think I am gonna go to a place to have them flush the coolant and replace it, my friend worked at valvoline and he said they used some machine to pump the old shit out and put the new stuff in.
My gauge reads fine as well......
-Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.