Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

One more question about my 91 TT rebuild project. In my last 91 TT, I thought the coolant level as seen from the fill cap was always close to the top, maybe within a half inch or so, definitely not to the level of the line that goes to the radiator. I never had to add any coolant and it always stayed within that range.

The rebuild motor exhibits something different. I have been topping it off just before driving it on most occasions. It goes down to about being level with the hose that runs to the radiator. What's more, the coolant reservoir seems to be filling up! I thought that this is a closed system and the reservoir level should stay about the same. Coolant runs into it when it expands and then gets sucked back into the engine when it cools down.

The only thing that I can think of that would cause this condition is a leak somewhere that is negating the vacuum back into the engine when it cools down. I haven't seen any major leaks in the engine compartment so I am at a loss here.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Look into "burping" the coolant system.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion, tac_shift.

I figured out the problem. For me, it was the radiator cap. The rubber gasket had deteriorated on about half of it so the system could not develop a good vacuum to pull the coolant back in. Now, the coolant level in both the filler neck and the overflow bottle are both where I left them after running it a couple of times.

I found a couple of threads in this forum on the same topic which pointed me to the solution.

Just wanted to update in case anyone else had a similar situation.

·
Registered
1991 VR4
798 Posts
I had a similar problem - deteroirated rubber and a weakened spring were allowing cooland to escape into the overflow reservoir when it should not have. Replaced the cap and it fixed my problem as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts