Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A routine weekend inspection of the car and to my surprise it was dripping under the drivers side. Its anti freeze ...a bit watery though.

Here are some of the observations:

Some dripping ..in the morning .. few droplets.
Start the car - the dripping becomes a free flow of coolant and its kind of watery.
Drove the car around for a while -the dripping seems to stall.
The coolant reservoir is full - max level as usual.
No overheating observed .. drives smooth.

Does anyone know what this is or have had this problem?

Its a 92' Stealth TT beauty own it for around a year now.

By the way my car has about 86,000 miles on it.

And the only other change lately has been a oil change 2 weeks back and used the Mobil Synthetic - for the first time.

Any suggestions sincerely appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
expansion

I've seen some coolant leaks from the liquid expanding. As long as the reservoir remains constant and at a normal level, this shouldn't cause you any undue stress.

·
The Wizard Of Aaahhhhh's
1,596 Posts
Yeah what Jamb53 said.

I noticed you are new, I also noticed you attached a pic of your car. I don't know if you are planning on attaching the pic every post, but perhaps you might want to read the announcement at the top of the forum about attaching pics. Just trying to save you some grief.

Chris

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks you guys for the prompt response.

Will keep a vigilant eye on the coolant tank for the next few days for any sudden drops in level.. was at the auto mart earlier and Prestone has a coolant sealant fluid on the shelf ...for leaks .. hope i dont need one of those.

i am just running out to do a Eagle One Wipe and Shine ...to spruce up the car.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I've never seen a coolant leak, liquid expanding or otherwise. Think about it: leaking coolant is not normal - your engine was not designed to do that.

If you're shooting rad fluid out, you've got a problem, and you better fix it, or soon enough you'll have no rad fluid at all, and then you *will* overheat.

Driver's side? Check you water pump. If there was no 60K tune-up done, then maybe you're about to blow the pump.

·
Premium Member
2,986 Posts
reach under the car once it is cool and reach up by the radiator. On the rear driver side of the radiator you will feel (and see if you jack up the car) a small twist knob. Feel around there and see if anything is leaking from there or if it's damp around there. Is it tight or somewhat loose? Check the small hose running down from right there. Is there any moisture in there? If so that could be the problem. Otherwise you may have a bad water pump. If all else fails you can jack up the front end of the car and take off the driver side wheels and the plastic guards to see where it's coming from. Hopefully it's just the tap on the radiator.

Let me know what you find out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took it to the shop today .and here are her comments.

It only leaks in the morning ..when i first start the car.. and stops after 15-20 mins. The mechanic says that its the seal on the water pump. They contract during the night and start dripping .. and as the car gets warmed.. the seal expands and the leak stops.

This was her preliminary hypotheses - without actually looking under the hood. We are going to have the car on the lift tommorow and hopefully confirm our suspicion.

Will go an look at the tap on the radiator too to see if thats wahts is the culprit here.

If its the water pump then its like $300 Labor and another 100 or so for the part.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Common wisdom has it that if the water pump is leaking, then the timing belt has coolant on it and needs to be changed as well.

If your car did not have the 60k timing belt change done, then, well, you're in luck, because you're gonna do it now.

If your car *did* have the 60k timing belt change done, then, well, you should have replaced the water pump at the same time, so, uh, tough rockos.

Either way, replacing either the belt or the pump requires the removal of the other, so you may as well do them as a pair.

See my FAQ below for some cheap places to get the parts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Confirmed that the water pump is almost gone. and needs replacement.

Is MD972005 the part number for the '92 Stealth DOHC TT.

Can anyone confirm that.

Is the waterpump kit different for vairous versions of our cars.

Many thanks!

·
twc4life
1,519 Posts
i feel your pain

I have the same problem....my car never over heated, but just recently noticed antifreze leakage, and smoke coming from the hood when i stop. So i took it to the shop today, i was estimated $112.18 for the Water Pump, $141.92 for the Timing Belt. So basically Parts=$332.94 and Labor=$331.57 not to mention some spring the mechanic was talking about that ran about $100. Worse thing, today was payday...so i know where my money is going now. :(

·
Registered
530 Posts
i think im having the same problem. im taking it to the shop tommorow. is the water pump a job someone could do themselves? any online instructions for it?

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I believe that Jeff Lucius' web page does. Don't know the link, but go to the FAQ board and read the top message.

As for doing it yourself, that depends on how brave you are. I do a lot of minor stuff on my car, but I felt it best to leave my timing belt change to a pro. I watched him do it all in two hours, but he had access to a full hoist, which is important since one of the things you have to do is loosen the engine mounts and raise the engine an inch or two.

Apart from that, it didn't look like anything mysterious - just a lot of bolts and parts to remove, and bolts and parts to replace. Given the potential for major engine damage, though, and given that it only needs to be done every 60K, I think that I'll forgo learning it, and just pay the 200 bucks to my pro to do it again.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Here's a heads up on the cost. I had a mitsu dealer here in Dallas (Don Herring) replace the water pump and timing belt a couple of years ago. YMMV ....
<font face="Courier">
1 x Water pump ...................... $120.75
1 x Timing belt ..................... $165.93
4 x Oil seal (camshaft) @ $8.93/ea ..&nbsp&nbsp$35.72
1 x Oil seal (crankshaft) ...........&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp$8.43
1 x Timing belt adjustor ............ $105.68
Antifreeze .......................... &nbsp$13.50
---------------------------------------------
Total parts ......................... $450.01
Sales tax & 8.25% ................... &nbsp$37.13
Labor ............................... $499.95
Hazardous waste disposal ............ &nbsp$20.00
---------------------------------------------
Total ...............................$1007.09
=============================================
</font>
OUCH!

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
See my FAQ for better prices. I had my local Mitsubishi mechanic do it at the dealer's shop for $200 labour. Parts I supplied myself, and prices are in my FAQ.

·
Registered
530 Posts
well i already did teh 60k tune up at mitsubishi. i didnt have the water pump replaced because it seemed to be a quality part. so all i would ened to do myself is replace the water pump. is that as hard as doing the timing belt??

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
From what I saw, replacing the water pump is pretty much replacing the timing belt, minus the belt part.

The pump has to be removed to get the belt off, which is why everybody says to replace the pump at the same time you do the belt.

Not good news for you.:(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts