Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1997 3000gt SOHC
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a large coolant leak under my intake it showed up the day I replaced my upper rad hose because that was leaking, but this is a pretty large leak so does anyone know what it could be from

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I would be thing is I won't be able to see what's causing the leak unless I remove my manifold which I wanna avoid
Bro there are literally several possibilities that can cause a coolant leak in that area, the thermostat housing, cross over tube, ISC lines, radiator hoses, everything are right there. The majority of those potential failures don't require removing the plenum at all. Your two best options are: get a pressure tester as suggested, or clean up the coolant and run your car and watch for a leak.

Also removing the plenum is like a 5 minute job.

·
Registered
1997 3000gt SOHC
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thing is the coolant wouldn't be able to get anywhere where I see it, it's under the intake like a said but it piles up even near the driver side on there now I'm unaware of hoses near at side bid the hoses on the pass side are good, I thought I noticed one bad hose tho but even if it was bad it has no way of getting the coolant to where it was unless I'm like drifting my shit,

But as I said earlier I wouldn't be able to see it where it should be from, now I did run a pressure test for my initial coolant leak and that was just the upper hose if It was anywhere else I would have saw it because this new leak came up the literal minute the replaced the upper hose

·
Registered
1997 3000gt SOHC
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm hoping it's that but since I don't have moeny or time to spare taking the Plenum off would be the fastest as I can diagnose multiple things at once, plus I won't have to buy a part that ain't broken

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Thing is the coolant wouldn't be able to get anywhere where I see it, it's under the intake like a said but it piles up even near the driver side on there now I'm unaware of hoses near at side bid the hoses on the pass side are good, I thought I noticed one bad hose tho but even if it was bad it has no way of getting the coolant to where it was unless I'm like drifting my shit,

But as I said earlier I wouldn't be able to see it where it should be from, now I did run a pressure test for my initial coolant leak and that was just the upper hose if It was anywhere else I would have saw it because this new leak came up the literal minute the replaced the upper hose
Bro there's coolant sitting on top of the transmission too...it looks like it is spraying everywhere. How about you do what's been suggested and clean up the coolant, and then see where it is coming from. If it was the crossover pipe, you'd have A LOT of coolant in-between your heads, like several inches of coolant. Because it would have to fill the entire valley where the pipe and lower plenum sit.

But then again, you keep going on about the "time and money" involved in removing the plenum, so we are probably just wasting our time. It literally takes like 5 minutes. You actually have less stuff to remove compared to a turbo model.

·
Registered
1997 3000gt SOHC
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Forgot to mention I did clean.up the coolant before I changed upper hose and guess what, no visible leak,.and all this coolant came from from under the manifold I can literally see the wet marks I don't need to pressure test it or nothing i just was wondering what the leak could be from under there I've figured out what it could be still not what it is unless you wanna buy me one of those micro cameras because I literally cannot see what the damn leak is from like I can, not to mention how am I gonna clean the coolant under the manifold yk where it all it is even by the driver side

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
"Under the plenum" coolant wise is just the crossover pipe which will require you to remove the upper and lower plenum. But once again, any leak there would have been present with the leaking upper rad hose. But again if the crossover pipe was leaking to the point you would see all this coolant it would be several inches deep. You would literally be able to shake the car and see coolant slashing around down there.

I don't get why you are so against just looking to see where the fuck it is leaking from. Take a garden hose and spray all the coolant off, or use a shopvac to suck it all out, and let it dry. Then turn the car on and look.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts