Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
need 4 speed
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all. lately, since winter started, i've been adding about 1/2 a gallon of water to my recovery tank about every 3 weeks. the other day my car overheated. once cooled i opened the radiator and added like 3 gallons of water.
here's the deal. i can't find a coolant leak anywhere. where oh where is this water disapearing to? btw, the oil is nice and golden. hmmmmmmm

·
Registered
274 Posts
Might be the water pump on its way out. I had this problem and there were no visible drips or puddles. Upon inspection under the car I noticed some splashes of coolant on the front of the sump and that general area. Also, when my engine got warmed up it would smell really "watery", you know, that sweet kinda smell.

[This message has been edited by grantm (edited December 13, 1999).]

·
need 4 speed
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, once the engine is warmed up, the whole compartment smells like warm, sweet coolant. oh boy, a new pump :-( i need to change the timming belt anyway. probably looking at like a grand for the labor eh?

·
Lovbyts
3,616 Posts
no, belt should be around $90 from dealer. Pump another $90 and then labor. Should be able to get it done for $600 or so. Call around to different dealers, it makes a big difference.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Here's my invoice from my mitsu dealer in Dallas .... I think I got stung !

<font face="Courier">
1 x Water pump ...................... $120.75
1 x Timing belt ..................... $165.93
4 x Oil seal (camshaft) @ $8.93/ea ..  $35.72
1 x Oil seal (crankshaft) ...........   $8.43
1 x Timing belt adjustor ............ $105.68
Antifreeze ..........................  $13.50
---------------------------------------------
Total parts ......................... $450.01
Sales tax & 8.25% ...................  $37.13
Labor ............................... $499.95
Hazardous waste disposal ............  $20.00
---------------------------------------------
Total ...............................$1007.09
=============================================
</font>

J

·
0 Posts
Thats probably a big high. The average is about $600 to $800 to replace the timing belt, water pump and spark plugs if you have it done at the dealer. Still cheaper at $1000 than what I had to pay. Did the 60K service with the plugs and belts 2 years ago and no one told me about the water pump. Paid $650 for that. Then at 80K, I just had to recently spend another $600 to replace the water pump. Total cost was $1250. The maintenance on these cars ain't cheap!!

·
Lovbyts
3,616 Posts
Ok, we are realy close on the parts prices except for the belt. I was quoted $90 but I see I was charged $160 so I will have to call on that one. My labor was just under $300 and everything else was within a dollar or two cheaper here in Washington.
Good luck.

C

·
0 Posts
Keep in mind, a water pump failure falls under the 5 yr/60K powertrain warranty. Good luck. Carey 95VR4

1 - 8 of 8 Posts