Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever done it? I'm doing a motor swap and also wanted to convert it to a stick shift. It appears it cannot be done because there is no place to put the clutch cylinder. There is no template to drill any holes and looks like there's no way to get a drill in there. So it this not possible? Any help would be appreaciated.

·
Might as well burn money
676 Posts
If I remember correctly there are a couple members that have done this, but I could be wrong.

The clutch/slave cylinder bolts to the manual transmission, so that wouldn't be much of a problem minus the running of lines.

You'd have to get ahold of a front manual transaxel, clutch assemble, gear shift assembly, NEW ECU.

Its possible I believe but I'd be one hell of a project.

I'll wait for some more knowledgable members to chime in here.

Levi

·
Banned
8,445 Posts
been done many, many times. do a search in the fwd transmission section.

p.s.

another one bites the dust.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have everything I need if not then I'll get whatever else is needed. I searched in the fwd section. Not much in there.

I meant the clutch resevoir not the cylinder sorry for the confusion. There's a sensor there iirc. I want to know how other people did it so I can do it too. I'm very anti-auto it's just boring for me.

·
Really old gear head
1,487 Posts
It can be done without too much more effort than swapping your auto tranny. There is a write up on the process. I can send you a copy if you give me your email address or you can find the link on this board.

I was going to do it to my sons 99 SL, but he sold it and bought a C5 Corvette 6-speed. Drilling the clutch hole in the firewall is the most awkward maneuver. The rest is straight forward mechanical work and some minor rewiring for the tranny reverse light switch.

I still have some of the parts required: clutch pedal ,brake pedal, accelerator pedal assembly, gear shifter and cable, manual transmission dust plate, I think I have the clutch master and slave cylinders with cables, too. I put the F5m33 tranny in another car, though.

Send me a pm if you want to discuss.

·
Creator of weird stuff...
4,116 Posts
I have completed the ATX to MTX Swap and it is not hard at all if you have enough knowledge to drop a transmissions and change out parts.

Do a search for "ATX conversion" and you will find tons of threads.

Yes the Clutch Master is the hardest part of the conversion. You can buy a conduit punch to make the large hole believe its a 1 1/4 but you need to search to make sure. I just used my dremel and a cutter bit to cut mine out. It was easier for me as I had the dash out of the car so plenty of room to work.

YOU DO NOT NEED A NEW ECU! The ATX trans has its own computer mounted on the floor behind the center console. Just remove it send sell it once you complete the swap.

Here is a list of the parts you will need to complete the swap:

shifter assembly, shifter cables, brake and clutch pedal assembly, slave cylinder, master cylinder, lines, starter, passenger axle, drivers side intermediate shaft, starter, flywheel, clutch kit, engine to trans brackets and the trans.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
Not hard to do at all. Pm me for phone # and I can give you all the details, including electrical. Done this several times.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Appreciate the genorosity but I will forget if it's verbal instructions. I've searched for any other topics similar and all I find is awd conversion and an expired link. The motor is out and I want to get his done asap. Apparently I'm going to need an axle and stater everything else I have. Really I just need to know where and how to drill through the firewall. Any links? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am actually looking into doing this myself. So if something could be posted on this, I would appreciate it. Maybe a link or something?
I have a 91 Dodge Stealth that is Automatic and a 92 parts car that is a manual. Should have all the parts right? Just wondering about the process... I definitely don't have the tools so I'll have to find someone who does, but that's another problem for another time!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the conversion is done. All I need is re-wiring the cas ( went from 2nd gen to 1st gen) and reverse lights. I say the best way has to be with the motor out. Not sure it can be done with the motor inside. You'll need the space to drill and to install the the clutch lines. Then you can put the starter and everything while the motor is out. Don't forget the transmission bracket. I used the same radiator.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Alright, but did you get your information on how exactly to do it from somewhere? I'm looking into it as a project for this year but I need to figure out how much help I'm going to need for this...
Now you said you had rewiring to do. Is that only because you went to a first generation? I have a 92 Stealth and a 91 stealth. I want to swap the one from my 92 into the 91 to make it a manual, am I going to have to deal with wiring too?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You would still have to wire the reverse lights the safety switch. I've yet to do that but hope to be done this week if weather permits. Something with the nuetral has to be done too I think. Don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
269 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Wow, I just checked out that link.. what an amazing transformation.
But I am definitely going to need back up for this. I don't have the tools or experience to swap out trannies.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Question, I've been talking to some people who have done this on other cars before and they have warned me on a few things...
Did you have to mess with the clutch assembly at all (for instance with the hydraulics or linkage)?

·
No sheep are safe tonight
1,003 Posts
Question, I've been talking to some people who have done this on other cars before and they have warned me on a few things...
Did you have to mess with the clutch assembly at all (for instance with the hydraulics or linkage)?
Since an automatic has no clutch pedal... Yes?
I removed the auto pedal assy and then mounted the manual assy to mark the hole for the master cylinder from the inside using the pedal assy as a template. Then I used a die grinder to cut the holes. That would be the hardest part. Everything else was pretty straightforward.

·
Registered
26 Posts
im about done with my conversion but i have one last problem the intermediate shaft that is between the driver side axel and the tranny it wont go all the way in so i can bolt it up is this a different thing that i have to get also?

this is the part im reffering to
http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa336/broccoli3000gt/SANY0187.jpg

and said part as im sure you know goes here
http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa336/broccoli3000gt/SANY0191.jpg

and here is the problem
http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa336/broccoli3000gt/SANY0190.jpg
http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa336/broccoli3000gt/SANY0188.jpg

and i tryed pushing it in light hammering and will not go far enough for those bolt holes and alignment pins to line up did you run into this problem is this another part that i have to now buy?

also were does this go i cant remember lol do you know
http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa336/broccoli3000gt/SANY0192.jpg

sorry but one more question will my car not work without doing the electrical re-wiring? though i still plan to do it if it has to be done

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sadly, I've yet to complete my job also. The reason it won't work is because you need to get a driver side axle from a 5spd or whatever your converting. I've also discovered that the passenger will not go in the tranny neither. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or it's because I'm going from second gen to first. I'm pretty sure you to re-wire the cas being that they're located on the opposite sides of the engine. Doubt he car will start. Hopefully I get all this done tomorrow and can finish the thread.

·
Flasher
9,654 Posts
I've edited this sentence twice now. I seem to remember having to change the intermediate shaft for this swap.

That looks like the piece that bolts to the passenger frame rail and braces the fuse box.

Your car will not start until you bypass the neutral safety switch. Aside from that it will run fine. You'll also have to wire the reverse light wires to the switch on the trans.

·
Flasher
9,654 Posts
Sadly, I've yet to complete my job also. The reason it won't work is because you need to get a driver side axle from a 5spd or whatever your converting. I've also discovered that the passenger will not go in the tranny neither. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or it's because I'm going from second gen to first. I'm pretty sure you to re-wire the cas being that they're located on the opposite sides of the engine. Doubt he car will start. Hopefully I get all this done tomorrow and can finish the thread.
I had to replace both axles when I put a 93 manual trans into a 94 auto. Read the FAQ if you haven't, my guide is in there.

Note to both of you in case you haven't discovered yet, the starter is different too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts