Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
woah!!!! I just found out how much it cost to convert a hard-top stealth into a convertible. (sit down for this one) $14,000.00. well how 'bout t-tops. I hope its about 13 grand less than the convertible.

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
There are lots of tri-state areas. I'm pretty sure there's one everywhere 3 states are joined.

You can do a targa top conversion, but you have to add bracing to the bottom of the car, or you can buy an F-body that already has t-tops and is faster.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well to convert to T-tops, the roof structure needs to be changed completely. The way it is on all non-spyder 3S's is basically a rectangular frame with sheet metal as the roof, (that's why it's relatively easy to put in a sunroof, all you do is cut a hole in the sheet metal) Meaning, the top of the windshield is one side of your rectangle, the doors are the two others and the top edge of the hatch is the fourth. to give-'er t-tops, you need to chop out the structural members above the doors and put a nice strong one in the middle, making an "H"shape if you look at it from the side. hope that makes sense. But it looks like I didn't answer your question of how much it costs.... I seem to remember reading a thread a few months ago about this. searchy searchy....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well to convert to T-tops, the roof structure needs to be changed completely. The way it is on all non-spyder 3S's is basically a rectangular frame with sheet metal as the roof, (that's why it's relatively easy to put in a sunroof, all you do is cut a hole in the sheet metal) Meaning, the top of the windshield is one side of your rectangle, the doors are the two others and the top edge of the hatch is the fourth. to give-'er t-tops, you need to chop out the structural members above the doors and put a nice strong one in the middle, making an "H"shape if you look at it from the side. hope that makes sense. But it looks like I didn't answer your question of how much it costs.... I seem to remember reading a thread a few months ago about this. searchy searchy....

·
Registered
460 Posts
if ur a gonna do ttops u may as well go convertible. its gonna cost u close to the same. your gonna have to support the frame and for tops somehow move the support to go down the middle of the roof. sell your car take the 14000 it would take and save alittle more and go get a the 3000gt convertible

·
Registered
67 Posts
sonicintox
your gonna have to support the frame and for tops somehow move the support to go down the middle of the roof.
Um I think I just said that....anyway, if it really costs $14,000.00 to convert it to a convertible (BTW it looks like boca rat's car is a regular convertible, not a retractable hardtop) yes you would need to strengthen the frame of the car. (and by frame I mean the structural members under the floor) I can see how that might cost 14 grand, but with t-tops the only added structure would be down the middle of the roof, it replaces the old roof. aka, no bracing necessary in the floor. Sooooo, it can't cost nearly as much as the convertible option. The only other problem is finding t-tops that would fit, I don't think anybody makes aftermarket ones. :rolleyes: but I'm yapping too much as it is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts