Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For info on this product, please go see this thread, and ask technical questions on there please.
This item converts OBD1 or MUT into high speed Canbus OBD2 -- which allows the Torque App to work on our platform.

For LCDBC users, I recommend Main unit + serial cable. There is nothing special with my serial cable, so if you have one, you can use it. Just note, it must be a straight-through cable, and not the null-modem serial cable type.

For OBD1 users (91-93 ECUs), I recommend Main unit + OBD1 cable. If you already have a serial OBD1 cable, then make sure
it is made for the PC laptop. The Palm pilot version of the OBD1 cable will not work without a null-modem adapter.

For OBD2 / MUT users (94-99 ECUs), I recommend Main unit + OBD2 / MUT cable.

$85 Main unit (3 in stock as of Dec.26)
+
Options:
$20 OBD1 cable (91-93 ECUs).
$20 OBD2/MUT cable (94-99 ECUs).
$4 Straight-through serial cable from LCDBC to device.
+
$15 Shipping to USA or Canada includes tracking, and insurance.
$20 Shipping to Finland, Britain, Europe via airmail, no tracking. If you want tracking, then it's $45.
All prices quoted in US dollars.

www.paypal.me/LCDBC
or
paypal email address: [email protected]

·
Registered
443 Posts
So you have the main unit and OBD 1 cable in stock, can ship monday?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Okay I'll take one. Have shoddy service right now should be able to send the $120 later this afternoon when I'm back at a PC

·
Registered
443 Posts
Payment sent

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Same hardware but I made it smaller by using surface mount components. Software has been updated a bit too.
But the software can be flashed to the old ones correct?

·
Premium Member
5,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But the software can be flashed to the old ones correct?
Yes that is correct. Batch 1 was about 100mm x 100mm in size. Batch 2 I shrunk it down some more. And now Batch 3 is 100mm x 64mm. Using SMD components take up less space, but it takes much longer time to build by hand.

·
Premium Member
5,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What is the procedure to add Bluetooth for wireless communication to Android phone?
Power up OBD2 bluetooth, goto Bluetooth search, select "OBDII". Password is either 0000 or 1234. Run Torque App.
Dunno if this video helps with your question or not.

·
Registered
443 Posts
This might be a noob question, but is there any drawback to leaving this device powered up, plugged in, and running (with OBD 2 bluetooth to Torque app) every time i drive the car? I daily the car and I just want to make sure using this all the time isnt going to overwork the ECU or anything.

Also, what is the best place to tap into +12v to power this up when the ignition is turned on?

·
Premium Member
5,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This might be a noob question, but is there any drawback to leaving this device powered up, plugged in, and running (with OBD 2 bluetooth to Torque app) every time i drive the car? I daily the car and I just want to make sure using this all the time isnt going to overwork the ECU or anything.

Also, what is the best place to tap into +12v to power this up when the ignition is turned on?
Best to use 12v ignition that only powers up with key. Using radio power, or cig power, or use "Add-a-fuse" on fuse panel. You can run it as much as you want, the ECU will not freak out or anything.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Any idea how much current this device will draw with a OBD2 bluetooth transmitter plugged in? I ask because I am planning to splice into the cig lighter wires (the one next to ash tray) to power this up and power up my WBO2 gauge, which is supposedly 1.3 amps. Because of the way the WBO2 gauge harness is with the power, ground, and signal wires loomed together it seems easiest to just put the power/ground into the +12v/ground screw terminals on that power up this device (with those wires tapped into cig power as mentioned) so that i can easily attach the WBO2 signal wire to that screw terminal on this device without running a separate wire all the way from the gauge pod and having all that extra wire from the WBO2 harness bundled up there.

Does this make sense and is it reasonable? Off hand do you know what the stock fuse is for that cig lighter (10A)? Sorry for all the questions, I'm always paranoid about wiring. Hopefully they will help someone else installing this.

·
Premium Member
5,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Canbus converter + my ELM327 bluetooth adapter = 0.07 AMPS (or 70ma). Sorry I don't recall the exact cig. lighter fuse size, but it's definitely 10 A or larger.

·
Registered
443 Posts
The Canbus converter + my ELM327 bluetooth adapter = 0.07 AMPS (or 70ma). Sorry I don't recall the exact cig. lighter fuse size, but it's definitely 10 A or larger.
Cool, thanks for the quick reply. I will report back here with results once i get the time to wire and install everything.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Alright so I finally got a chance to wire this up so I could at least test the connection to my phone via OBD2 ELM adapter. Haven’t hooked up wideband or anything else yet – just plugged it into OBD1 port, supplied power, and plugged in my OBD2 ELM Bluetooth adapter. This is the adapter I am currently using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The problem I am having is that I can’t seem to get torque to display any information, even though it says “Connected to ECU OK”. When reading through your other threads for this device, I remember it was mentioned somewhere that you had to download torque pro to get some stuff to work. Is the pro version required to get this to work properly? I went through the normal setup in torque, and tried all of the obvious changes in obd2 adapter settings. Chose Bluetooth connection and selected the OBDII bluethooth device that I had already paired to, which was fine. Restarted the app and the flashing blue icons at the top do go solid everytime, and I get the “Connected to ECU OK” message. However, nothing gets displayed… I even tried driving to work with this connected the whole time just incase I wasn’t giving it long enough and there was no change.

I tried going into the OBD2 adapter settings and checking/unchecking the “Disable ELM327 auto timing adjust” and “Faster communication” and restarting the app after each change and it made no difference. It always says it connects to ECU OK but doesn’t load or display anything. Also tried restarting my phone, turning on/off Bluetooth, etc (this is all on a Samsung Galaxy Note 5). I even tried my old phone, and galaxy S4, and a newer phone, an S7, and those had the same problem.

The odd thing is I tried another app Car Scanner (blue and white engine icon) and it seemed to connect OK and could display some information properly like RPM, coolant temp, O2 fuel trim %, and timing (although I didn’t see knock and some other things I thought should be there). Here is the protocol it says it was using

Interestingly when torque is connecting it shows the same protocol at the top:

To further test I plugged this adapter into a 2016 madza 6 and I seemed to have the exact same problem – torque connects to ECU OK but doesn’t load or display any vehicle info. The other app I mentioned connects and displays info just fine. There are thousands of reviews saying this works with torque and my specific phone so I am pretty lost at this point. I even tried a different OBD2 ELM Bluetooth adapter and had exactly the same problem.

Am I missing something stupid in the torque app? Any help is appreciated.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts